Has anyone here been to counseling?

• Thread starter Stevedye56
  • Start date
In summary, some people find counseling helpful, while others do not. Some find it useful for getting to the root of their problems, while others find it more of a waste of money. It is important to remember that counselors are not perfect, and that not all of their suggestions will be applicable to your life.
Stevedye56
Hello fellow PF'ers.

I was just wondering if anyone here has been to counseling. I didnt really find it at all useful. Not that I am unstable it was a while ago i had to go. I was also wondering if anyone found it helpful. I found it wasnt becasue it just dug up the past and that time fixes things. I am just curious to see who has opinions on it.:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
In some of my darkest days I found a counselor very helpful. Not for solutions, but for a unbiased ear where I could freely discuss my troubles. The weight of many problems can be reduced simply by talking about them. An objective ear with guaranteed privacy is the ideal place to air problems. A good councilor can also offer suggestions from his neutral position which may or may not be applicable to your life. What his suggestions should do is offer you topics for healthy introspection.

If you mean as in the term of 'Therapy'( :rolleyes:), that seems to be pretty much a Yank thing. You can hardly talk to one without him/her mentioning his/her therapist. If some little bastard is acting like a little bastard, he's sent to a therapist. A good whap upside the snout with a rolled-up newspaper would be quicker, cheaper, and a hell of a lot more effective. In most cases, the reliance upon a 'Therapist' is more of a disease than the initial symptoms. And a lot of those 'Therapists' are total parasitic crackpots who should be in some sort of institution themselves (reference Dr. Phil).
That having been said, I agree with Integral's evaluation of a true professional psychologist or psychiatrist. Any moron call call himself a psychotherapist, but at least the aforementioned require an education and licensing. Most bartenders are better than the crackpot types, because it is indeed the ability to listen and coax out the underlying problem that helps.

Never been, I don't need somene to tell me what I already know,...that I'm ku-ray-zay.

Last edited:
That's the worst Steve Martin impression that I've ever heard. :grumpy:

I did not realize I was impersonating him. :confused:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Never been, I don't need somene to tell me what I already know,...that I'm ku-ray-zay.

Pffff. Crap, cRap, crAp and again craP... You are NOT crrrrrraazzzzzy, you just would like to be...

marlon

I think its a bunch of crap unless you are about to commit suicide. I just gave them the answers they wanted so i could get out of that place. Its kind of a punch in your pride if you know what i mean.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I did not realize I was impersonating him. :confused:

The way that you spelled it just reminded me of the way that he pronounces it when he does his 'wild and crazy guy' routine.

marlon said:
You are NOT crrrrrraazzzzzy, you just would like to be...

He must be. Elsewise, why would he be talking to us? :confused:

I sometimes think that those people who seek out counselors and therapists really need psychiatrists, just not for the reasons they think they do. :biggrin:

Don't mean to diverge from the topic but what's the dog and the shovel for. I hovered over it so i know what its for. But what's the point? Does it get sent into a vault or something?

Stevedye56 said:
Don't mean to diverge from the topic but what's the dog and the shovel for. I hovered over it so i know what its for. But what's the point? Does it get sent into a vault or something?

:confused:

On the upper right hand corner of the window that i post i see a little dog with a shovel and a black box, a white one, and a blue one?

How good is your monitor quality? There's a spell-check icon with ABC and a large check-mark under it. Can that be what you're seeing? No coloured boxes, though. Just a couple of up/down arrows for size change.

I've seen my share of psychiatrists, psychologists, and counselors because I've been diagnosed as having schizoaffective disorder. I have to go see the psychiatrist to prescribe my meds, and I'm not willing to pay for the other. I have no insurance, and most insurances don't cover mental health anyway. Psychologists and counselors just sit there listening and try to offer help, but they are just as human as you...they don't know what they're doing. None of us know what the heck we are doing. Ha! I'm not spending $110.00 an hour to see them!

Well said, Leah. Their expensive sessions probably only work as a placebo if you trust them, hehe. But as I say, they can ask good questions.

Leah said:
I've seen my share of psychiatrists, psychologists, and counselors because I've been diagnosed as having schizoaffective disorder. I have to go see the psychiatrist to prescribe my meds, and I'm not willing to pay for the other. I have no insurance, and most insurances don't cover mental health anyway. Psychologists and counselors just sit there listening and try to offer help, but they are just as human as you...they don't know what they're doing. None of us know what the heck we are doing. Ha! I'm not spending $110.00 an hour to see them!

Thats INSANE! The one i went to was free becasue he worked for the town.

1. What is counseling?

Counseling is a form of therapy that involves talking to a trained professional about personal and emotional issues in order to gain insight, understanding, and support. It can help individuals cope with difficult life events, improve relationships, and develop skills to manage emotions and behaviors.

2. How do I know if I need counseling?

It is important to seek counseling if you are experiencing persistent and distressing thoughts, feelings, or behaviors that are impacting your daily life. This could include symptoms of anxiety, depression, trauma, or other mental health concerns. If you are unsure, it is always beneficial to speak with a counselor to determine if counseling is right for you.

3. What can I expect during a counseling session?

During a counseling session, you can expect to have a conversation with a trained therapist who will listen to your concerns, ask questions, and help you explore your thoughts and feelings. The therapist will also provide support, guidance, and tools to help you manage your concerns and work towards your goals.

4. Is counseling confidential?

Yes, counseling is confidential. This means that everything you share with your therapist will be kept private and will not be shared with anyone without your permission, unless there is a concern for your safety or the safety of others.

5. How long does counseling usually last?

The length of counseling can vary depending on the individual's needs and goals. Some people may only need a few sessions, while others may benefit from longer-term therapy. Typically, sessions are scheduled on a weekly or biweekly basis, but this can also vary. It is important to discuss your goals and progress with your therapist to determine the length of counseling that is right for you.