Has anyone here heard of a digital potentiometer for household current?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LURCH
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Digital
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Messages
2,550
Reaction score
119
Has anyone here ever heard of a digital potentiometer that is built for household current? I'm talking about US power supply (110v 60Hz AC). I've been looking for one to buy. I tried searching online to look for prices, only to find that they don't seem to exist.

Any links to an online store, or information about the existence or non-exitance of such a device would be greatly appreciated.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
LURCH said:
Has anyone here ever heard of a digital potentiometer that is built for household current? I'm talking about US power supply (110v 60Hz AC). I've been looking for one to buy. I tried searching online to look for prices, only to find that they don't seem to exist.

Any links to an online store, or information about the existence or non-exitance of such a device would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure what you mean by a digital potentiometer for the AC Mains. I've not seen a use for a potentiometer on the AC Mains. Are you thinking more of a variac, to get stepped-down versions of the AC Mains voltage? Or are you looking to dim something like a light? If dimming, you don't use a potentiometer. You use triacs or SCRs to make dimmers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimmer