Has anyone seen this problem before?

• Thread starter ZioX
  • Start date
In summary: It's definitely not the most efficient way to solve it, but it's cute and it works.In summary, the person solves the e approximation for e^n-s and finds that the limit is zero.
ZioX
Cute solution.

[tex]\lim_{n\to+\infty}e^{-n}\sum_{i=n}^{+\infty}\frac{n^i}{i!}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Has anyone? Is anyone working on this? I can give you a hint if it's needed. I thought this was really cool when I saw it the other day and I figured I would share it. Wasn't sure how well known this problem is.

Why don't you answer the (my) question in the math Q&A topic in the general math section, then you could post this as a problem.

that is the formula for e approximation. i did that in programming, but not approaching infinity, it should be real number.. i might be wrong.

etek said:
that is the formula for e approximation. i did that in programming, but not approaching infinity, it should be real number.. i might be wrong.

Sum begins at n, which is going to infinity.

the series is just e^n- s, where s is the partial sum of formal power series e^n truncated when i=n

so the limit becomes
lim n-> inf
1-e^{-n)*s

s goes to e^{n} and the whole thing goes to zero...?

Yea i get the same answer as tim, The whole thing goes to zero.

Edit: Working-

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}e^{-n}\sum_{i=n}^{\infty}\frac{n^i}{i!}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}e^{-n}(e^n - \sum_{i=0}^n \frac{x^n}{n!})[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}(1 - \frac{\sum_{i=0}^n \frac{x^n}{n!}}{e^n})[/tex]

[tex]1 - \frac{\lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{i=0}^n \frac{x^n}{n!}}{\lim_{n\to\infty} e^n}[/tex]

[tex]1 - \frac{\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}}{e^n}[/tex]

[tex]1 - \frac{e^n}{e^n}[/tex]

Which is zero. I think i included enough obvious steps for everyone to follow :)

Last edited:
Woah! Are you sure you can go here, man?

[tex]1 - \frac{\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}}{e^n}[/tex]

I can give you guys a hint: I could've posted this in the probability forum.

if you graph this, this equation the domain is approximately (-inf, inf), while its range is the same which is infinity. ziox is right it's not zero, but if you take n as real number the equation solves the e approximation in e^n.

Gib Z said:

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}e^{-n}(e^n - \sum_{i=0}^n \frac{x^n}{n!})[/tex]
First correction

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}e^{-n}(e^n - \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \frac{n^i}{i!})[/tex]

By the way, is the limit = 0.5 = P[Z>0], Z~N(0,1).

Last edited:
Yes.

CLT for the win.

My statistician friend gave me the problem, and I hacked away at it for a good 5 hours and finally got a very non-trivial solution.

Last edited:

1. Has anyone seen this problem before?

This is a common question in the scientific community. Many researchers and scientists often encounter problems or challenges in their work and want to know if anyone has faced a similar issue before.

2. How do I know if someone has seen this problem before?

There are a few ways to determine if a problem has been previously encountered. One way is to conduct a thorough literature review by searching through scientific databases and publications. Another way is to reach out to colleagues or experts in the field who may have encountered similar problems.

3. Why is it important to know if someone has seen this problem before?

Knowing if someone has seen a problem before can save time and resources in trying to solve it. If a solution has already been found, it can be applied to the current problem. Additionally, it can help to avoid repeating mistakes or unsuccessful attempts at solving the problem.

4. What should I do if no one has seen this problem before?

If you determine that your problem is unique and has not been encountered before, you may need to approach it with a fresh perspective. This could involve conducting more research, seeking advice from experts in related fields, or experimenting with different approaches.

5. Is it possible that someone has seen this problem before but not published about it?

Yes, it is possible that someone has encountered a problem before but has not published about it. This could be due to various reasons, such as the problem being considered trivial, not being a priority for publication, or the researcher not realizing the significance of the problem. In this case, it may still be helpful to reach out to colleagues or experts for their insights and advice.