Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Has anyone seen this problem before?

1. Mar 3, 2007 #1
    Cute solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2007 #2
    Has anyone? Is anyone working on this? I can give you a hint if it's needed. I thought this was really cool when I saw it the other day and I figured I would share it. Wasn't sure how well known this problem is.
  4. Mar 4, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

Why don't you answer the (my) question in the math Q&A topic in the general math section, then you could post this as a problem.
  5. Mar 4, 2007 #4
    that is the formula for e approximation. i did that in programming, but not approaching infinity, it should be real number.. i might be wrong.
  6. Mar 4, 2007 #5
    Sum begins at n, which is going to infinity.
  7. Mar 4, 2007 #6
    the series is just e^n- s, where s is the partial sum of formal power series e^n truncated when i=n

so the limit becomes
    lim n-> inf

s goes to e^{n} and the whole thing goes to zero...?
  8. Mar 5, 2007 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yea i get the same answer as tim, The whole thing goes to zero.

Edit: Working-

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}e^{-n}(e^n - \sum_{i=0}^n \frac{x^n}{n!})[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}(1 - \frac{\sum_{i=0}^n \frac{x^n}{n!}}{e^n})[/tex]

[tex]1 - \frac{\lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{i=0}^n \frac{x^n}{n!}}{\lim_{n\to\infty} e^n}[/tex]

[tex]1 - \frac{\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}}{e^n}[/tex]

[tex]1 - \frac{e^n}{e^n}[/tex]

Which is zero. I think i included enough obvious steps for everyone to follow :)
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  9. Mar 5, 2007 #8
    Woah! Are you sure you can go here, man?

[tex]1 - \frac{\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}}{e^n}[/tex]

I can give you guys a hint: I could've posted this in the probability forum.
  10. Mar 5, 2007 #9
    if you graph this, this equation the domain is approximately (-inf, inf), while its range is the same which is infinity. ziox is right it's not zero, but if you take n as real number the equation solves the e approximation in e^n.
  11. Mar 5, 2007 #10

First correction

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}e^{-n}(e^n - \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \frac{n^i}{i!})[/tex]
  12. Mar 5, 2007 #11

By the way, is the limit = 0.5 = P[Z>0], Z~N(0,1).
  13. Mar 5, 2007 #12

CLT for the win.

My statistician friend gave me the problem, and I hacked away at it for a good 5 hours and finally got a very non-trivial solution.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?