Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Has anyone tested a polarization filter sending through photon by photon?

1. Jan 28, 2017 #1
    To properly test a filter, I understand we can use a source of vertically polarized light. We send photon by photon say 1000 though a filter at, for example, 45 degrees the count the ones on the other side. We should get roughly 500, depending of the quality of the setup.
    I was interested in a link to a paper that presents such an experiment.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't think such a paper would make it through the reviewing process. Better check textbooks and such.

4. Jan 29, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Every low-power beam of incoherent light does that experiment indirectly. Nothing would work if the filters wouldn't filter as they should.

It is hard to find publications for something everyone uses. As comparison: It is easy to find papers discussing solar flares, but hard to find papers verifying that the sun does exist.

5. Jan 29, 2017 #4
    I like the analogy with the sun.
    Thanks.
    I can safely exclude this possibility( in the op).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  6. Jan 29, 2017 #5
    Yes, that's probably true, unless it showed a different result. But, indeed, seems very unlikely. If there was one, it didn't show a different result.

7. Jan 30, 2017 #6
    http://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.94.121405

8. Jan 30, 2017 #7
    Thanks for the link.
    Although they claim the source to be very efficient, I don't think such a source is absolutely necessary. However, it should work better.
    A BBO crystal can be used I guess, to confirm every photon similarly to the setup in the Delayed Choice QE, by Kim et. al.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted