Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Has anyone tried Harry Potter magic?

1. Jun 14, 2016 #1

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does it work? If not why not? I was expecting to find entire social groups established just for this purpose but a google search did not conjure up any.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. It does not work.

4. Jun 14, 2016 #3
    If it worked the IRS would have disappeared long ago.

5. Jun 14, 2016 #4

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean? Are you expecting to find communities that gather together the ingredients and devices mentioned in the books and attempt the spells written in? If so, why would you expect to find that, much less expect it to work?

I feel we're missing something in this thread (perhaps a joke) so I'll leave it open for now but post a reminder for all to read the SF&F subforum rules:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/science-fiction-and-fantasy-reviews-forum-rules.680313/

6. Jun 14, 2016 #5
    It's not out of the realm of possibility that such groups would meet. We have Klingon Klubs devoted to speaking gibberish, Wiccans who worship ... something, etc.

7. Jun 14, 2016 #6

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I meant it lightly but, at the end of the day, seriously, along the lines of costume or cooking clubs. More generally fan clubs. I do not expect it to work but was and am interested to find out if anyone out there thought it might.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  8. Jun 14, 2016 #7
    I see what you did there.

No, it doesn't work. There's no reason to think that it would.

Imagine that we wished to duplicate the effect of the levitation charm as described in the Harry Potter book series. There are an infinite number of things we could try and a smaller, though I imagine still infinite, number of things we could try that would work well enough to be indistinguishable from magic. What could possibly lead you to believe that waving a stick and incanting "Wingardium Leviosa" would be one of them? This particular hypothesis does not merit the level of attention you've given it. (Credit due to E. Yudkowsky)

Even if you had the extrodinary luck to be born into a world where magic exists, acquired a legitimately magical wand, and found detailed instructions in a book of magical education, you still couldn't perform the levitation charm. Because you, EnumaElish, are a muggle. Take heart, though. As consolation, entire social groups have been established just for the purpose of playing quidditch.

9. Jun 16, 2016 #8
    If you're in search of people who are seriously devoted to superstition, look no further than your local church. Baptizing an infant imbues them with magical protection and gains favor with a supreme supernatural being? If that sort of thing isn't believing in sorcery, I don't know what is.

10. Jun 16, 2016 #9

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought there'd be muggle societies specifically for Potterian magic. @jackwhirl made clear why that's a chimaera.

11. Jun 16, 2016 #10
    Of course it works. Oh ye of little faith.

12. Jun 17, 2016 #11

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Yes, in prepubescence.

Edit: I should also mention that I did build my own wand and try out all the incantations for myself. I also experimented and tried to make some of the potions and who-knows-what-else...

Quite passionately at that. :biggrin:

How else could you validate those claims? Take the book on its word? No way, I need proof.

Edit 2: I also made butterbeer in the microwave by melting butterscotch candies and cream soda! :DD

13. Jun 17, 2016 #12
    I'm sixty-five and I got a copy of the Elder wand for Christmas two years ago.

14. Jun 17, 2016 #13

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

What a great gift, lucky you! :smile:

15. Jun 17, 2016 #14
    Sadly, it didn't come with any instructions. :frown:

16. Jun 17, 2016 #15
    Did you wrest it from the grip of its previous owner?

17. Jun 17, 2016 #16
    No, I wrested it from the grip of my wife.

18. Jun 19, 2016 #17

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Aww! So, do you have any Harry Potter themed gift ideas that you have been thinking of surprising her with? Do you guys have a time-turner yet? :smile:

19. Jun 20, 2016 #18
    I think she'd like one, yeah. I've considered it, but she has to get me Saruman's staff first. (She's into Tom Baker stuff, so that's my first thought for her.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted