Has anyone won a physics Nobel prize for computation/simulation work?

• Thread starter petergreat
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Just curious...

Answers and Replies

atyy
Science Advisor
I don't think so. They get it in chemistry (Kohn and Pople) or biology (Hodkin and Huxley)

alxm
Science Advisor
None of those examples got it for doing computations, they got it for the development of computational methods and for a successful theoretical model, respectively. (The latter in medicine, there's no Nobel in biology)

I don't really see how physics, chemistry and medicine would be significantly different here. You won't get an award for performing a calculation, it has no scientific merit in itself. You can get a prize for theory, in the sense that you developed a theoretical model/method that is useful. Or you can get a prize for theory in the sense that you made a sufficiently important theoretical prediction. I don't think it's relevant whether that prediction was based on analytical or numerical calculations. Usually, when a theorist gets the prize, he's done both.

atyy
Science Advisor
None of those examples got it for doing computations, they got it for the development of computational methods and for a successful theoretical model, respectively. (The latter in medicine, there's no Nobel in biology)
Surely this counts as computational!

"Huxley began the slow work of using a Brunsviga 20 manually cranked calculator with numbers entered by a set of adjusting levers (projecting from the wheels that were rotated by the hand crank)." http://neuron.duke.edu/userman/2/pioneer.html

"Each run of the algorithm producing a 5 millisecond theoretical voltage trace took about 8 hours of effort. Quote from Hodgkin: The propagated action potential took about three weeks to complete and must have been an enormous labour for Andrew [Huxley]." http://www.maths.nott.ac.uk/personal/sc/cnn/CNN2B.pdf