Nobel Prize 2023: Attosecond pulses

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone familiar with this field/technique give us an idea of how important this is?

Haborix said:
Can anyone familiar with this field/technique give us an idea of how important this is?
The presentation provided a few potential applications.

from 29.57

Likes Haborix
DrClaude said:
They rang Anne L’Huillier to tell her she had won but she was lecturing so they had to try a few times.

When they did get her, they told her but it was only a short call as she wanted to finished her lecture!

I wonder if she told her class?

Amazing.

Likes berkeman
Haborix said:
Important enough to be worth a Nobel prize :-p

To be able to probe things that move very fast, like electrons in molecules, one needs very short bursts of light to interrogate systems. These tools have now been available for about a decade and have been used to study electron dynamics in atoms, molecules and non-structures.

• Informative
Likes berkeman, Haborix and pinball1970
DrClaude said:
Important enough to be worth a Nobel prize :-p

To be able to probe things that move very fast, like electrons in molecules, one needs very short bursts of light to interrogate systems. These tools have now been available for about a decade and have been used to study electron dynamics in atoms, molecules and non-structures.
Yes, the trouble I have is my own personal interests means some years seem obviously important/cool and others just don’t trigger the same response. This year is the latter, but like you say, it is important enough to get a Nobel Prize, so I’m trying to figure out what I’m missing. Had the same response to the blue LEDs a few years ago.

pinball1970 said:
I wonder if she told her class?
I don't think you are allowed to say anything until the prize has been officially announced.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
Haborix said:

I think it is a just a (very short) flash in the pan.

• Haha
Likes DaveE, BillTre and pinball1970

What are attosecond pulses?

Attosecond pulses refer to extremely short bursts of light, with durations measured in attoseconds—one attosecond is equal to 10^-18 seconds. These pulses are used in the field of ultrafast science to observe and manipulate electronic processes that occur on very short timescales.

Why are attosecond pulses significant in scientific research?

Attosecond pulses are significant because they allow scientists to study phenomena that occur at the electron level in real time. This capability is crucial for understanding fundamental aspects of light-matter interaction, chemical reactions, and quantum mechanics, potentially leading to advances in technology, medicine, and materials science.

How are attosecond pulses generated?

Attosecond pulses are typically generated using a technique called high harmonic generation (HHG). This involves shining intense laser light onto atoms or molecules, which then emit light at higher harmonics of the original laser frequency, including in the extreme ultraviolet range, where attosecond pulses are found.

What was the Nobel Prize 2023 awarded for in relation to attosecond pulses?

The Nobel Prize in Physics 2023 was awarded for groundbreaking work in the generation and application of attosecond pulses. The laureates developed techniques to produce these pulses more efficiently and demonstrated their use in capturing the ultrafast dynamics of electrons in atoms, molecules, and solids.

How can attosecond pulses impact future technologies?

Attosecond pulses have the potential to revolutionize several fields by providing unprecedented insights into the fast dynamics of electrons. This could lead to innovations in electronics, where the speed of electron movement is crucial, improvements in photovoltaics, and the development of new materials with tailored electronic properties. Additionally, they might contribute to the advancement of real-time spectroscopy and the study of quantum phenomena in new materials.