Has Doctor Who Jumped the Shark?

• Thread starter TheOldHag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doctor
In summary, the 11th Doctor's Doctor Who has been over-the-top and cheese-filled, compared to earlier versions. I think it may have jumped the shark when it rebooted the universe, and I would rather watch classic Doctor Who instead.
TheOldHag
I've been a big fan of Doctor Who but not particularly the 11th Doctor, Matt Smith. It seems to me Doctor Who may have jumped the shark when he rebooted the universe. It seems they have over emphasized some aspects of the traditional Doctor Who to grotesque proportions.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheOldHag said:
I've been a big fan of Doctor Who but not particularly the 11th Doctor, Matt Smith. It seems to me Doctor Who may have jumped the shark when he rebooted the universe. It seems they have over emphasized some aspects of the traditional Doctor Who to grotesque proportions.
Huh?? What do you regard as "traditional Dr Who"? William Hartnell?

I rather liked Matt Smith -- more than David Tennant. I would have said they "jumped the shark" when Rose Tyler (Billie Piper) departed. Couldn't stand Donna Noble (Catherine Tate). :yuck:

TBH, I wish they'd bring back a companion like Leela (Louise Jameson). :blushing:

I prefer William Hartnell, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison and David Tennant all beyond Matt Smith. Primarily because of the writing with respect to Matt Smith. I just think they have gone overboard on some of the cheese factor and have turned Doctor Who into a bit of a caricature.

Has Dr Who jumped the shark...

I'd have to say no. at least in my opinion it hasn't.

Will it ever, I don't know.

One thing many people seem to forget is that DR who is a Children's program (technically Family Horror) in the UK, and holding it the standard of a serious science fiction show is a mistake.

TheOldHag said:
I prefer William Hartnell, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison and David Tennant all beyond Matt Smith. Primarily because of the writing with respect to Matt Smith. I just think they have gone overboard on some of the cheese factor and have turned Doctor Who into a bit of a caricature.

I agree that Smith has increased the silly quotient of the show quite heavily. But has the show jumped the shark...I think not. Anything after Tennant and RTD is going to look slightly lackluster. Yes, there has been some overt display of eccentricity which before was simply a layer of the painting but it also has had some excellent plot devices and support from background characters.

The one thing I don't like about the 11th is he's too brash and too cocksure, yes, the 10th was confident of himself too but he didn't have that 'come at me if you dare' kind of attitude:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ecycHAZtaM‎
(yes, I like the speech; its just that it doesn't fit well with the character)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. Anyone have any idea about 'Who nose'?

Enigman said:
I agree that Smith has increased the silly quotient of the show quite heavily.
I thought Patrick Troughton increased the silliness of the show quite heavily when he took over from WH. And I was a kid back then -- I was quite indignant that my beloved "serious" show had gone silly. :smile:

I really don't think it's been a children's programme for a very long time.

Nimbian said:
Has Dr Who jumped the shark...

I'd have to say no. at least in my opinion it hasn't.

Will it ever, I don't know.

One thing many people seem to forget is that DR who is a Children's program (technically Family Horror) in the UK, and holding it the standard of a serious science fiction show is a mistake.

Kepler20f said:
I really don't think it's been a children's programme for a very long time.
Yeah. If one wants a children's program, try the "K-9" spinoff. :smile:

strangerep said:
Yeah. If one wants a children's program, try the "K-9" spinoff. :smile:

I agree, it is not a children's show. Perhaps some don't regard it as serious science fiction because it has other elements besides science fiction. I don't think all science fiction has to be like Star Trek. I take it seriously - thank you.

On the other hand the Matt Smith Doctor Who can be pretty silly.

Doctor Who has not jumped the shark, it has begun playing on the event horizon of suck but has not crossed it yet. What needs to happen is there needs to be a new showrunner brought in, one who preferably isn't a fanboy, to set things straight. If it does cross that event horizon the only hope it has would be to completely reboot itself I believe, unlikely.

The fortunate thing about Doctor Who is that it is so inconsistent that it is hard to permanently jump the shark.

Its true. how do you define jumping the shark when nearly every episode has something impossible happening. In one episode the doctor casually mentioned how his race Invented Black holes. in another the Dalleks scooped up a dozen different planets teleported them across the universe and stuffed them all within spitting distance of each other, with no harm to any of the inhabitants.

I think Jumping the Shark for this show would be having the doctor solve a mundane crime without any techno babble or sonic screwdriver :D

Personally, I think Dr. Who has gone downhill ever since Tom Baker. My personal favorites have always been Baker and Pertwee.

HallsofIvy said:
Personally, I think Dr. Who has gone downhill ever since Tom Baker.
Is the rumour true that Tom tended to "fondle" his female companion actresses off-camera? :uhh:

1. What does it mean for a TV show to "jump the shark"?

Jumping the shark is a phrase used to describe a moment in a TV show's history where it takes a turn for the worse, losing its original quality and becoming less appealing to viewers.

2. Has Doctor Who jumped the shark?

This is a subjective question and opinions may vary. Some fans believe that Doctor Who has jumped the shark, while others think the show has maintained its quality throughout its long run.

3. What are some examples of when Doctor Who may have jumped the shark?

Examples of moments in Doctor Who's history that some fans consider to be "jump the shark" moments include the introduction of the sonic sunglasses, the departure of fan-favorite companions like Rose and Amy, and certain plot twists that were deemed too far-fetched or poorly executed.

4. How does a TV show recover from jumping the shark?

Recovering from jumping the shark can be difficult for a TV show, as it often involves changing the show's direction or bringing in new creative talent. In the case of Doctor Who, some viewers believe that the show has recovered from jumping the shark by maintaining its core values and continually reinventing itself with new Doctors and companions.

5. Is jumping the shark a common occurrence in TV shows?

Jumping the shark is a common phenomenon in TV shows, particularly long-running ones. As a show goes on, it can be challenging to maintain the same level of quality and originality, leading to moments that some may consider to be "jump the shark" moments. However, it is ultimately up to individual viewers to decide if a show has truly jumped the shark or if it is still entertaining and enjoyable.