Has the Fermi-Dirac Integral been solved?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of an analytical solution for the Fermi-Dirac Integral. While some recent papers claim that no analytical solution exists, there is a formula on Wikipedia that relates the integral to the polylogarithm function, which is considered reliable. However, computing the polylogarithm can be difficult and there are discussions about numerical methods for solving the integral. One approach is to use the integral definition and generalized Gauss-Laguerre integration. Overall, it is not expected for the integral to be expressible in a finite combination of elementary functions.
patric44
TL;DR Summary
has the Fermi-Dirac Integral been solved?
hi guys
I have a question about whether or not the Fermi-Dirac Integral has Been solved, because i found a formula on Wikipedia that relates the Fermi-Dirac integral with the polylogarithm function:
$$F_{j}(x) = -Li_{j+1}(-e^{x})$$
and in some recent papers they claim that no analytical solution exist, plus if the formula on Wikipedia is correct why there are some recent papers discussing a Numerical solution for particular cases of the Fermi-Dirac integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula is probably correct since it agrees with DLMF
https://dlmf.nist.gov/25.12#iii
which is very reliable. However, computing the polylogarithm is not easy in general, and I’m not surprised that you can find papers discussing different numerical methods. The only time I have needed polylogarithms I used the integral definition
https://dlmf.nist.gov/25.12#E11
along with generalized Gauss-Laguerre integration.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss-Laguerre_quadrature
It worked fine for the parameter range I cared about, but it is probably not a general approach that is practical for all situations.

Jason

Last edited:
Likes patric44
Well, writing the F-D integral (or the B-E integral) in terms of known special functions (most of them essentially reducible to hyper-geometric functions or Meijer functions) is an analytical solution, if the series expansion is convergent. You can't expect that these integrals are expressible in a finite combination of elementary functions...

1. What is the Fermi-Dirac Integral?

The Fermi-Dirac Integral is a mathematical function used to describe the probability of a particle occupying a specific energy state in a system of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin. It is an important concept in quantum mechanics and statistical physics.

2. Why is solving the Fermi-Dirac Integral important?

Solving the Fermi-Dirac Integral allows us to accurately calculate the behavior of fermions in a system, such as the distribution of electrons in a metal or the properties of neutron stars. It also helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

3. Has the Fermi-Dirac Integral been solved?

Yes, the Fermi-Dirac Integral has been solved for certain cases, such as in a one-dimensional system or in the limit of very low temperatures. However, for more complex systems, it remains a challenging problem and there is ongoing research to find analytical or numerical solutions.

4. What are some methods used to solve the Fermi-Dirac Integral?

Some methods used to solve the Fermi-Dirac Integral include numerical integration techniques, series expansions, and approximations such as the Thomas-Fermi model. Monte Carlo simulations are also commonly used to approximate the behavior of fermions in a system.

5. How does the solution of the Fermi-Dirac Integral impact real-world applications?

The solution of the Fermi-Dirac Integral has many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and understanding the properties of materials. It also has implications in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology, where it helps us understand the behavior of fermions in extreme environments. Furthermore, the principles behind solving the Fermi-Dirac Integral have led to advancements in other areas of physics and mathematics.