Has time always ticked the same?

• I
  • Thread starter dodo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time and its measurement through clocks. It is noted that the rate at which time passes can only be determined by comparing different clocks and that there is no absolute meaning to the rate of ticking of time. The conversation also mentions that there is a hypothesis about the speed of light not being constant throughout time, but this does not change the fact that time cannot be compared across different points in time. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the original question has been sufficiently answered.
dodo
Hi all,
I have a layman question, if I may.

As you know better than I do, all sort of conclusions have been drawn from observations of the Doppler shift in light from distant objects: from the universe expansion, to the Big Bang, to the hypothesis of dark energy.

My question is, has time always ticked at the same rate since the Big Bang? And, if not, what effect would that have on the conclusions drawn from Doppler measurements. (I.e., how would a wave's frequency be affected if it came from a distant region where time was ticking differently then.)

Thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
Wow... just the easy questions eh??!

Time's a tricky one as it's hard to define it any other way than "what you measure with a clock" - and you'll be aware that two clocks will differ depending on gravity, acceleration, etc.

However, there is a hypothesis that the speed of light has not always been constant throughout time - see wiki entry (and it wiki say's it's true, how could we possibly doubt it :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/08/light-traveled-faster-in-the-early-universe-todays-most-popular.html
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6092-speed-of-light-may-have-changed-recently/Regards
Matt

dodo said:
has time always ticked at the same rate since the Big Bang?

This question isn't well-defined as you state it. There is no absolute meaning to "the rate at which time ticks".

dodo said:
all sort of conclusions have been drawn from observations of the Doppler shift in light from distant objects: from the universe expansion, to the Big Bang, to the hypothesis of dark energy.

Yes, and none of those conclusions depend on any assumptions about "the rate at which time ticks". Cosmologists do quote times since the Big Bang, but those times are for a particular well-defined class of observers which are convenient for setting up cosmological coordinates; they are not absolute "time" values and they don't imply any assumptions about the "rate of ticking" of time.

Time is measured by clocks. You can only measure the rate at which one clock ticks by comparing that clock against a different clock. You can't directly compare two clocks at different times.

So in the end, we just define the rate at which time passes to be the rate at which a clock measures time to pass.

Perhaps there is no need for actual clocks. I wonder if you'd be able to make educated guesses about time slowing down, if all matter were closer to each other, as in the early universe.

P.S.: By the way, thanks mgkii for the links, I'm barely starting to skim over them, but there's a lot of interesting material there.

dodo said:
I wonder if you'd be able to make educated guesses about time slowing down

Once again, "time slowing down" has no absolute meaning. So there's nothing to make guesses about, educated or otherwise.

mgkii said:
there is a hypothesis that the speed of light has not always been constant throughout time

None of these are reliable sources, although the Wikipedia article does link to some. In any case, the hypothesis of a varying fine structure constant (which is how the hypothesis should be phrased, since the fine structure constant is the dimensionless quantity involved), even if it turned out to be true (which it isn't to the best of our current knowledge), would not change the fact that "time slowing down" has no absolute meaning.

dodo said:
I wonder if you'd be able to make educated guesses about time slowing down

Once again, "time slowing down" has no absolute meaning.

The OP's question has been responded to sufficiently. Thread closed.

1. Has time always been measured in seconds, minutes, and hours?

No, the way we measure time has changed throughout history. Different cultures and civilizations have used various methods, such as sundials, water clocks, and pendulum clocks.

2. How do we know that time has always ticked at the same rate?

Scientists have studied the movement of celestial bodies and the decay of radioactive elements to measure time and have found that it has remained consistent. Additionally, the laws of physics, such as the speed of light, suggest that time is unchanging.

3. Could time have been faster or slower in the past?

The concept of time being faster or slower is relative. However, based on scientific evidence, the rate of time has remained constant, but the perception of time may vary for individuals based on factors such as age and environmental conditions.

4. Is time travel possible?

While there are theories and experiments being conducted, there is currently no scientific evidence that time travel is possible. The concept of time travel also raises many philosophical and ethical questions.

5. Will time always tick at the same rate in the future?

Based on current scientific understanding, it is believed that time will continue to tick at the same rate in the future. However, as our understanding of the universe evolves, our perception and measurement of time may also change.