1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have a pretty basic chem problem about lights and radiation

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    An instrument can detect 9450 photons of light of wavelength of 8.065 × 10^-8 m. What is the minimum amount of energy in J to which the instrument is sensitive? Express answer in scientific notation..

i have tried to use the e = (planck's constant) ( speed of light ) / (wavelenghth) but i am not sure how the photons figure is used

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

If one photon carries 10-18 J of energy, how much energy is carried by two identical photons?

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    where did you get 10^-18

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

Borek

Nowhere, it is not directly related to the question. I could as well ask "If one photon carries 1018 J of energy, how much energy is carried by two identical photons?", although that'll be quite a photon :bugeye:

6. Oct 1, 2008 #5
    so how would i know how much energy does each photon carry

7. Oct 1, 2008 #6

Borek

You have already listed equation that allows calculation of the energy of a single photon.

8. Oct 1, 2008 #7
    so would i plug the wavelength into the equation and multiply by the number of photons and get my answer?

9. Oct 1, 2008 #8

Borek

Exactly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?