Have a pretty basic chem problem about lights and radiation

In summary, the conversation discusses the sensitivity of an instrument to detect 9450 photons of light with a wavelength of 8.065 × 10^-8 m. The minimum amount of energy in J to which the instrument is sensitive can be calculated using the equation e = (planck's constant) (speed of light) / (wavelength). The conversation also mentions that one photon carries 10^-18 J of energy and asks how much energy is carried by two identical photons. The final conclusion is that the energy of multiple photons can be calculated by multiplying the energy of a single photon by the number of photons.
kevinf
An instrument can detect 9450 photons of light of wavelength of 8.065 × 10^-8 m. What is the minimum amount of energy in J to which the instrument is sensitive? Express answer in scientific notation..

i have tried to use the e = (planck's constant) ( speed of light ) / (wavelenghth) but i am not sure how the photons figure is used

Physics news on Phys.org
If one photon carries 10-18 J of energy, how much energy is carried by two identical photons?

where did you get 10^-18

Nowhere, it is not directly related to the question. I could as well ask "If one photon carries 1018 J of energy, how much energy is carried by two identical photons?", although that'll be quite a photon :bugeye:

so how would i know how much energy does each photon carry

You have already listed equation that allows calculation of the energy of a single photon.

so would i plug the wavelength into the equation and multiply by the number of photons and get my answer?

Exactly.

1. What is the relationship between light and radiation in chemistry?

Light and radiation are both forms of electromagnetic radiation, with light being visible to the human eye and radiation being invisible. They both have the ability to interact with matter and cause changes in chemical reactions.

2. How does light affect chemical reactions?

Light can affect chemical reactions in several ways, such as providing the energy needed to break bonds between atoms, initiating a reaction, or altering the rate of a reaction. This is known as photochemistry and is an important aspect of many chemical processes.

3. What is the difference between visible light and UV light in terms of their effects on chemical reactions?

Visible light has longer wavelengths and lower energy compared to UV light. This means that visible light is less likely to cause chemical reactions, while UV light can be more reactive and cause more significant changes in chemical reactions.

4. How does the intensity of light affect chemical reactions?

The intensity of light refers to the amount of energy that is being emitted. In chemistry, this can affect the rate of a reaction, as higher intensity light can provide more energy to initiate and drive the reaction. However, too much intensity can also lead to unwanted side reactions or even damage to the chemicals involved.

5. Can light be used to control chemical reactions?

Yes, light can be used as a tool to control chemical reactions. This is known as photoregulation and involves using light-sensitive molecules or materials to initiate or inhibit certain reactions. This has many practical applications, such as in drug delivery or in creating self-regulating materials.