Is our world a simulation? Why some scientists say it's more

• Thread starter NewToThis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simulation
In summary, several respected and well-educated scientists believe that the universe may be a simulation. They don't think there is any evidence for it, but it's still a discussion worth having.
NewToThis
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/11/simulated-world-elon-musk-the-matrix

I don't want to discuss the subject of the article, I just wonder how people on here feel about respected and well educated scientists giving such subjects their time?

"Harvard theoretical physicist Lisa Randall is even more skeptical. “I don’t see that there’s really an argument for it,” she said. “There’s no real evidence.”

What she should say is "There is NO evidence for it".

I feel a bit annoyed that NASA and Harvard scientists are giving this subject any time they may as well say the bible could be true.

Likes Evo
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the "universe may be a simulation" idea is kind of silly too. (It doesn't merit a whole lot of consideration in my book.)

That said, if physicists/scientists think about such things in their spare time, it doesn't really do any harm, and may lead to interesting (and maybe fun) discussions.

Here is a video of the 2016 Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate: Is the Universe a Simulation? There are some interesting points made if one cares to watch it. So there's that.

Likes Evo
Thanks for the video, I'll check that out later.

I don't mind them discussing it but I don't like them respecting the idea, they should rubbish it just like they should rubbish religion because there is absolutely no evidence for it. These are scientists people like me look up to so it disappoints me to hear them talk like this. I expect better.

Likes Evo
collinsmark said:
I think the "universe may be a simulation" idea is kind of silly too.
Agreed, but I would not include the "kind of" caveat.

NewToThis said:
I feel a bit annoyed that NASA and Harvard scientists are giving this subject any time they may as well say the bible could be true.
There is plenty of historical precedence of smart people having silly ideas.

Likes Evo
phinds said:
There is plenty of historical precedence of smart people having silly ideas.
Strings/SUSY anyone? o:) :-p

Likes Evo
NewToThis, I couldn't agree with you more, this falls under nonsense/philosophy and while we can't prevent people from coming up with such things (what did they think before computers?) at least we can not waste our time on it. :smile: So I am closing this before we attract a bunch of people that think this is a philosophical thread. Not that there is anything wrong with philosophy, this isn't the place for it.

And Collinsmark, I'm mortified, you owe me a possessed dog picture now, Halloween is just around the corner.

Likes collinsmark

1. Is there evidence to support the idea that our world is a simulation?

There is currently no scientific evidence to definitively prove or disprove the idea that our world is a simulation. However, some scientists have proposed certain theories and experiments that could potentially provide evidence for or against the simulation hypothesis.

2. Why do some scientists believe that our world is more likely to be a simulation?

Some scientists argue that the advancement of technology and the possibility of creating realistic simulations ourselves suggests that it is more likely that our world could also be a simulation. Additionally, certain phenomena in our universe, such as the fine-tuning of physical constants, could potentially be explained by a simulated reality.

3. How can we test the simulation hypothesis?

There are several proposed experiments that could potentially test the simulation hypothesis. For example, some scientists suggest looking for glitches or anomalies in our physical laws or attempting to communicate with the creators of the simulation. However, these experiments are purely theoretical and have not been proven to be feasible.

4. What are the potential implications if our world is indeed a simulation?

If our world is a simulation, it could have significant implications for our understanding of reality and our place in the universe. It could also raise ethical questions about the actions of the creators of the simulation and the nature of free will within a simulated world.

5. Is the simulation hypothesis a widely accepted theory among scientists?

No, the simulation hypothesis is not a widely accepted theory among scientists. While some scientists have proposed the idea and it continues to be a topic of speculation and debate, the majority of the scientific community remains skeptical of the concept and believes that there is not enough evidence to support it.