Have you tried hypnotism/does it work?

• Thread starter ninar
  • Start date
Re: Have you tried hypnotism/does it work???

How does one "almost" crush a glass?
:biggrin: I tried the whole weekend to almost crush a glass (to cause just some crack marks, without breaking it). Apparently I can't do it anymore. Every glass I tried, I just shattered those into pieces...

The alchohol abuse thing definitely has a cultural slant - I tend to agree with xxChrisxx as I'm from the U.K - drinking to much and doing stupid stuff is pretty typical here when you are young. I think most of Northern Europe is similar. I think it would be very easy for a young person who has been rejected and is behaving a little pathetically when drunk to get the erroneous idea that they have some sort of serious mental/substance abuse issue. Before you know it they'll be 40 and will have spent half a million dollars on treatment for something in reality needed the person just to leave off the booze for a bit until they get over it.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

The alchohol abuse thing definitely has a cultural slant - I tend to agree with xxChrisxx as I'm from the U.K - drinking to much and doing stupid stuff is pretty typical here when you are young. I think most of Northern Europe is similar. I think it would be very easy for a young person who has been rejected and is behaving a little pathetically when drunk to get the erroneous idea that they have some sort of serious mental/substance abuse issue. Before you know it they'll be 40 and will have spent half a million dollars on treatment for something in reality needed the person just to leave off the booze for a bit until they get over it.
Well, I think that's the point. If someone is trying to undergo hypnotism to stop doing a behavior they are ashamed of doing when drunk rather than just deciding maybe they shouldn't drink so much, it really does suggest there's more of a drinking problem than just a doing silly things when drunk problem. If someone can't even attend a party where drinking is happening because they know they will not be able to turn down the drinks and will resort to foolish behavior, that is an alcohol problem...or really bad choices of friends if they don't respect your decisions to not drink and keep pushing it on you when you try to tell them no.

Either way, it sounds like the first thing to do is just avoid those situations where a lot of drinking happens and stay sober until you're back in control of either your drinking or your behavior when drinking, and perhaps only have one or two rather than gettings smashed to the point of losing all inhibitions. Perhaps one could consider themself lucky if the only stupid thing they're doing when drinking is sending obnoxious text messages. There are far worse things one could do and it's better to get control of oneself before it gets to that stage. Learn your limits.

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program; usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves..."

There is a reason why this is read at the beginning of each meeting: It's because it hasn't yet sunk in! Sure, you may know the 5th Chapter verbatim, and have it so well-memorized that you can recite it to a friend from rote memory, but the real reason behind your difficulties is that you're not being rigorously honest with yourself; you haven't let the meaning of the 5th Chapter sink in yet, despite the pride you take in memorizing it. Pretend you are being honest and a few days later you'll remember where the closest liquor store is, and march promptly toward it. Understand why the 5th Chapter is read at each and every meeting--and live by it for the first time in your program--and you'll never have to darken the doorsteps of a liquor store or bar again! :smile:

What on earth... was that a rhetorical statement or what?

I feel as though i've missed something.

What on earth... was that a rhetorical statement or what?

I feel as though i've missed something.
I deliberately made the post cryptic so that only a select few will 'understand.'

Well it doesn't tax the imagination working out what you are saying. That's got to be some AA thing, obviously a mantra. as you stated said at the start of every meeting and its probably in the 5th chaper of an AA book.

I'm not bashing it or you, I'm just struggling to see the relevence to the thread.

EDIT: -I guess what im trying to ask is, was the statement loaded in any way? Are you suggesting the OP is an alcoholic? or were you just saying is as a matter of course?

Last edited:

Well it doesn't tax the imagination working out what you are saying. That's got to be some AA thing, obviously a mantra. as you stated said at the start of every meeting and its probably in the 5th chaper of an AA book.

I'm not bashing it or you, I'm just struggling to see the relevence to the thread.

EDIT: -I guess what im trying to ask is, was the statement loaded in any way? Are you suggesting the OP is an alcoholic? or were you just saying is as a matter of course?
Of course as a matter of course! :tongue2:

We now have two pages of alcohol talk. My post is very relevant indeed. Anyone who understands will verify its relevence.

As I noted earlier AA people tend to think that an alcoholic is an alcoholic is an alcoholic. If you show signs of being an alcoholic then you almost invariably are one, and I think that their nod to the possibility you may not be is usually just being polite or trying not to appear too dogmatic.

No offense Neo. I am only making a general statement and do not mean necessarily to include you.

First try to stop your drinking habit then everything will fall into place.
go to a counselor and try to find a solution for the drinking habit.
i dont think hypnotism has anything to do with your case as your habit is due to rinking.

The real question here I think is this: "Am I an alcoholic? And if so, how can I tell?" Answer: Page 31 of the 'Big Book' of Alcoholics Anonymous gives us clear instruction how to determine if you are an alcoholic:
"We do not like to pronounce any individual as alcoholic, but you can quickly diagnose yourself. Step over to the nearest barroom and try some CONTROLLED drinking. Try to drink and stop abruptly. Try it more than once. It will not take long for you to decide, if you are honest with yourself about it. It may be worth a bad case of jitters if you get a full knowledge of your condition."

The OP isn't an alcoholic... he doesn't have to drink if he doesn't want to. We have already estabished that. He's just trying to stop being a pain in the arse when he is boshed.

im a girl :P i wonder, even if i dont drink is that thing going to stay with me forever inside my mind?

What thing? The texting... no. Just don't to it, if you feel the need give your phone to a friend, easy peasy.