1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having a massive brain fart SIMPLE molarity -> molality conversion

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1
    Having a massive brain fart... SIMPLE "molarity -> molality" conversion...

This isn't even a homework question per se, I'm just trying to understand how the question converted the molarity to the molality value, via the density given. I just got a different value of molality when trying to solve for it manually... and am pretty sure I did something stupid.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the osmotic pressure of a 6.02×10-2 M aqueous solution of Ca(NO3)2 was found to be 4.05 atm at 20°C. Note that the corresponding molality would be 6.10×10-2 m, given that the density of the solution is 0.997 g/cm3....

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay.... so the question tells me it has a molality of 6.10×10-2 m,

So if I want to solve for that myself, I would start off with the given molarity, right? So it would be 6.02×10-2 M then multiply it by the density of solution, 0.997g/cm3, or in other words, 0.997kg/1L ... and then we're done, right?

So:
    6.02×10-2 mol/L multiply 1L/0.997kg = 6.04x10-2

... but the question tells me it's 6.10×10-2 m .... and I have no idea why I'm not getting that value.

I don't know what's going wrong here... I'm sure I am missing something dead simple...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: Having a massive brain fart... SIMPLE "molarity -> molality" conversion...

Molality <> molarity conversion isn't that easy, proper formula is much more complicated.

See example of concentration conversion - percentage to molarity. That's not exactly what you need, but the general approach outlined there will lead you to the molarity/molality formula. There is also a nice collection of conversion formulas on the same site.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?