Mere approximation problem or something else? Thermodynamics

In summary, the answer to this question is incorrect due to incorrect assumptions about the behavior of N2H4 under ordinary conditions.
mooncrater

Homework Statement

The question is :
Calculate the work done in joules when 1.0 mole of N2H4 decomposed against a pressure of 1.0 atm at 300 K for the equation:
3N2H4
(l)→4NH3(g)+2N2(g)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I did it like as:
Assuming 100% dissociation of N2H4
4/3 moles of NH3 and 2/3 moles of N2
will be formed. That means a total of 2 moles of gas will be formed , which will have a volume of 2×22.4L at STP.
(SINCE AT STP VOLUME OF 1 MOLE OF GAS=22.4L)
Which will be equal to 44.8 ×10-3 m3
So work done =PΔV=105×44.8×10-3=4480J (with a negative sign)
But its answer is -4988.4 J which is much different from mine. What I think is that mere approximations in the values of Molar volume at STP and pressure change from atm to N/m2 cannot cause such a large deviation. So is my method incorrect? Or the given answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
mooncrater said:

Homework Statement

The question is :
Calculate the work done in joules when 1.0 mole of N2H4 decomposed against a pressure of 1.0 atm at 300 K for the equation:
3N2H4
(l)→4NH3(g)+2N2(g)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I did it like as:
Assuming 100% dissociation of N2H4
4/3 moles of NH3 and 2/3 moles of N2
will be formed. That means a total of 2 moles of gas will be formed , which will have a volume of 2×22.4L at STP.
(SINCE AT STP VOLUME OF 1 MOLE OF GAS=22.4L)
Which will be equal to 44.8 ×10-3 m3
So work done =PΔV=105×44.8×10-3=4480J (with a negative sign)
But its answer is -4988.4 J which is much different from mine. What I think is that mere approximations in the values of Molar volume at STP and pressure change from atm to N/m2 cannot cause such a large deviation. So is my method incorrect? Or the given answer?

What temperature is "STP" -- how does that compare with the 300 K of the original problem?

Likes mooncrater
Okay...that was a silly mistake...STP is for 273K not 300K . Now I will never forget it. Thank you!

It seems to me there is something wrong here. If the initial number of moles were 1, and the final number of moles were 2, then at 273K, the change in volume would have been 22.4 liters, not 44.8 liters. So it seems to me that the "correct answer" is a factor of 2 too high. What do you guys think?

Chet

But ##N_2H_4## is a liquid at initial conditions.

mooncrater said:
But ##N_2H_4## is a liquid at initial conditions.
Ah. Thanks. That explains it. Duh!

Chet

Likes mooncrater
Chestermiller said:
Ah. Thanks. That explains it. Duh!

Chet
Sir I think you knew it but asked the question to check mooncrater.:wink:

Raghav Gupta said:
Sir I think you knew it but asked the question to check mooncrater.:wink:
You're very kind, but, no, I didn't notice that (l) in the problem statement. And I definitely didn't know from prior experience that N2H4 is a liquid at ordinary conditions. o:)

Chet

Likes mooncrater and Raghav Gupta

1. What is the Mere Approximation Problem in thermodynamics?

The Mere Approximation Problem is a concept in thermodynamics that refers to the process of approximating the behavior of a system using simplified models or assumptions. This is often done to simplify complex calculations and make them more manageable.

2. How does the Mere Approximation Problem affect the accuracy of thermodynamic calculations?

The Mere Approximation Problem can significantly impact the accuracy of thermodynamic calculations. By using simplified models, important factors and variables may be overlooked, leading to errors in the final results. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the limitations of using mere approximations in thermodynamics.

3. What are some common examples of the Mere Approximation Problem in thermodynamics?

One common example of the Mere Approximation Problem in thermodynamics is the ideal gas law, which assumes that gas particles have zero volume and do not interact with each other. This model is often used to simplify calculations, but it may not accurately reflect the behavior of real gases.

4. How can the Mere Approximation Problem be addressed in thermodynamics?

The Mere Approximation Problem can be addressed by using more advanced models and techniques, such as numerical methods or computer simulations. These approaches take into account a wider range of factors and can provide more accurate results, but they also require more time and resources to implement.

5. Why is the Mere Approximation Problem important to consider in thermodynamics?

The Mere Approximation Problem is important to consider in thermodynamics because it can affect the validity and reliability of calculations and predictions. By understanding the limitations of using simplified models, scientists can make more informed decisions and improve the accuracy of their results.