Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having difficulty understanding radicals

1. Aug 8, 2013 #1
    I know how the very basics but then I get given a question like this.

##\sqrt{9-3x}## and I think I can divide both by 3. ##3\sqrt{3-x}## and so ##x=3##

Then I get ##\sqrt{4x+12}## and again I can take 4 from each ##4\sqrt{x+3}## and so ##x=-3##

Is this the correct way to be solving these? Because I'm looking down the page and it starts getting real complicated looking, real fast and was just wondering if there is a simple way to go about solving these?

Simplify: ##{\sqrt\frac{9a}{8b^2}}## is the next question I face

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

##\sqrt{9-3x}## is not the same as ##3\sqrt{3-x}##. Consider x=0, for example, and see what you get in the different expressions.

"and so x=3" does not make sense. There is no equality involved in the expressions.

To solve anything, you need an equation. something=somethingelse.

There are rules for square roots (more general: rules for exponents) you can use here.

4. Aug 8, 2013 #3
    Also here is another one but I'm not sure it's correct:

##{\sqrt\frac{8}{9}}## = ##{\sqrt\frac{8}{9}\cdot{\sqrt\frac{9}{9}}}## = ##{\sqrt\frac{72}{81}}## =## \frac{\sqrt{72}}{9}##

?

5. Aug 8, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is correct.

6. Aug 8, 2013 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The distinction between the root symbol and grouping symbols is that although both are grouping symbols, the root symbol is a function symbol. Inside the root symbol, you can factor one or more common factors from terms, but you cannot necessarily move them outside of the root symbol; because doing so requires that you have great enough count of the factors as indicated by the root index.

[itex]\sqrt{9-3x}[/itex] you can do [itex]\sqrt{3(3-x)}[/itex] but not further.

([strike]All I did was added the proper parentheses for grouping symbol balancing and the typesetting fails. [/strike] [strike]I NEED the paired parentheses in the second expression! [/strike] The typesetting did work but failed while I first made the post and mathematical notation.)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  7. Aug 8, 2013 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I really want the typesetting to work right but it did not so I do this instead:

(9-3x)1/2 is the same as (3(3-x))1/2 but you cannot go any further.

8. Aug 8, 2013 #7

verty

Homework Helper

This is something you will commonly see/use:

##\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{x} = \sqrt{\frac{1}{4}} \; \sqrt{x} = \sqrt{\frac{x}{4}}##
    ##\sqrt{4x} = \sqrt{4} \; \sqrt{x} = 2 \sqrt{x}##

Also ##\sqrt{54} = \sqrt{9 * 6} = 3 \sqrt{6}##.

These are all explained by replacing each radical with the corresponding exponent, like ##(\frac{x}{4})^{\frac{1}{2}}##.

9. Aug 8, 2013 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's true but [tex]\sqrt{9}= 3[/tex] so that [tex]\frac{\sqrt{8}}{3}[/tex] would be better. In fact, since [tex]8= 4(2)[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{8}= 2\sqrt{2}[/tex], the simplest form is [tex]\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}= \frac{2}{3}\sqrt{2}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook