1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having problems with polynomial

1. Jan 28, 2006 #1
    hi everyone new to the forum here.

here's my problem. I have to tell whether a given expression is a polynomial in x or not, and if so give its degree.

I've figured out 4 of the 5 but i'm stuck on the third one

2^x + 3x

since 2 is being raised to x and 3 is being multiplied by x i'm completely confused on how to determine if it is or not and what the degree would be if it has one

please help:cry:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Well, what have you seen as definition of a polynomial?
  4. Jan 28, 2006 #3
    5x^2 - 3x + (1/2)

with the degree being 2 since the highest power of x is 2
  5. Jan 28, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Yes, but that's an example.
    What is the definition of a polynomial, have you seen that?
    When do you call a mathematical expression a 'polynomial' (in x)?
  6. Jan 28, 2006 #5
    no, it's not a polynomial if you ask me
  7. Jan 28, 2006 #6

Homework Helper

That's correct, but it would be good if kingerd is able to find out why that is.
  8. Jan 28, 2006 #7
  9. Jan 28, 2006 #8
    oh sorry, you mean..

a polynomial in one variable is any expression of the type

anX^n + an-1X^n-1 + ... + a2X^2 + a1X + a0

where n is a nonnegative integer, an,...,a0 are real numbers called coefficients, and an not equal 0
  10. Jan 28, 2006 #9

Homework Helper

If that's the definition which you are using, then clearly your example can't be a polynomial since there's an x as power (exponent), you see?
  11. Jan 28, 2006 #10
    I'm sorry, but is that because since we don't really know the value of x it could be a non-negative number? I just want to make sure i understand it
  12. Jan 28, 2006 #11

Homework Helper

Oh no, even if we were sure that x was a positive integer, it still wouldn't be allowed to have x as an exponent. At least: it wouldn't be a polynomial in x anymore.
  13. Jan 28, 2006 #12
    Let's start with this, a general form for polynomials:
    [tex]a_nx^n + a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + ... + a_2x^2 + a_1x + a_0[/tex]

What I mean by form, is that for an expression to be a polynomial, you need to be able to fit it into the above expression with the constraints you gave: n is any nonzero integer, a_n are real, etc.

Here's an example:
    [tex]x^3 + 5x^2 + 3[/tex]
    We can plug it into the above form for a polynomial by saying: n = 3, a_3 = 1, a_2=5, a_1 = 0, a_0 = 3.

Take the expression 2^x and try to plug it into the polynomial form above. There's no way you can do it.. there are no (something)^x in there.

One additional condition that may have been taken for granted by your teacher, that i think might be causing a problem for you:
    x (or whatever the variables may be) remains a variable. You won't typically plug in a numeric value for x and still call it a polynomial. If you took that 2^x and plugged in x=3, and then said 2^3 - you have just a number, 8.

I point this out because it sounds like you're trying to do that: plug in a value for 2^x, then try to fit the number into the polynomial (by saying, for example, x=3: 2^x = 2^3 which can be written as y^3 with y=2, so therefore it's a polynomial). That's going too far, and is wrong.

Just try to stick to that original polynomial form. x's stay x's (or another letter), a_n's are numbers, n's are non-negative integers, etc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?