Having Trouble In My Geometry Class (HS)

In summary: You should stick to the curriculum taught in your high school geometry class. This will help you be successful in college math.
bleedblue1234
Hello everyone,

I am having a considerable amount of trouble in my high school geometry class... first let me explain.

My teacher went on sabbatical last year and decided to make his own text. His text is alright, but lacks some explanation I feel, I need to SEE it done well before I can do it well, and I sometimes find his lectures hard to follow. His method of teaching is very different from most geometry textbooks I have seen (we are extremely proof heavy)... and I have never had issues with Math before this...

Also, his homework is exceedingly difficult for stuff I know I could understand if given a better way of handling it (I need to spend 1-2 hours a night on just geometry)... but I don't know how to considering the text he made is very sporadic in what it covers (we jump from Lobachevsky geometry to trig to sequences etc.)...

I currently have a low B in the class, meanwhile I have high A's in all of the other courses I am taking... I try hard it is just I feel very defeated while working on the problems and it is irking me a lot considering I like Math and I think/hope I have a decent aptitude for it... I am just lost on what to do (I have talked to him and my counseler and they were of little help...)

Physics news on Phys.org
the curriculum looks interesting...non-euclidean geometry. i think it's rare for high school geometry classes to have non euclidean geometry included in their curriculum. and sequences are usually covered in algebra 2 or pre calculus

what exactly are you having trouble on? what is the homework like?

i see that your class is proof heavy. sometimes it requires thinking outside the box. if you rely on your teacher to show you every single step that's not learning at all.

bleedblue1234, High School Geometry MUST be a proof-heavy course. If your teacher is writing his own textbook for Geometry and using this for your use, then it needs to conform close to a normal high school Geometry textbook. You should find a couple of such books and try to evaluate how they compare or differ to your teacher's current custom-designed book. Also, you might find explanations in the more conventional books which you like better than what you find or not find in your teacher's book.

Two hours of homework per night (or day) is not surprising for high school Geometry; it can be a very difficult course. The difficlties should not so much be in the problem-solving exercises, but some of the proofs can be difficult and time consuming. You must be giving the right kind of effort, for the most part, if you currently are in grade range of a B.

heyo
someone posted something similar on here, but it was for calculus instead of geometry. Most people agreed that the guy should supplement his learning by buying another calculus book, so that he could pull from both and do better. Maybe you could try this out, gL.

The problem is it is not just trig or just geometry, we do all sorts of things that one geometry book/ trig book doesn't seem to cover, not to mention I only have ~4 weeks left in the semester/year and I am already extremely sick and tired of this teacher...

Your teacher is going over board. This is not what is typically taught in a HS geometry course. Just stick to it. This is the best practice you can get for college math. College math is all proofs and no real life applications. You will thank him later.

Believe me, it beats studying 2hrs+ daily in college when you got 4 other courses. I wish I had a psycho teach my geometry class. 4 weeks for better grades in college is a sweet deal. As for your grade... don't worry. If the class is as hard as you claim, the average will reflect that.

Here is a sample problem(s) from our current packet:

Infinite
(Summation Symbol) 6*(-1/2)n -
n=1

The Above is divergent. Make an argument that they are equal to the number indicated or find the number they equal...

stuff like this... this is sophomore (15 yr old) geometry...

It doesn't seem incredibly difficult but I am having a lot of trouble (especially since he is very loose on homework... he just wants one "paper" a week on anything you want to do... and is very confusing on his grading of papers and his tests are EXCEEDINGLY difficult (but he does allow retakes, that of course are hard also...))

6*(-1/2)n -

What are you saying... -3n?

And equal to what number indicated?

Howers said:
College math is all proofs and no real life applications.

While many courses are rather pure and proof oriented there are also some that delve into applications.

Believe me, it beats studying 2hrs+ daily in college when you got 4 other courses. I wish I had a psycho teach my geometry class. 4 weeks for better grades in college is a sweet deal. As for your grade... don't worry. If the class is as hard as you claim, the average will reflect that.

Anyone planning to take any serious college level math is going to spend well over two hours at a clip studying regardless of how tough your HS Geo teacher is or was.

Last edited:

1. Why am I struggling in my Geometry class?

There could be a variety of reasons why you are having trouble in your Geometry class. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concepts, difficulty with visualizing geometric shapes and figures, or struggling with the abstract nature of Geometry. It is important to identify the specific areas that you are struggling with and seek help from your teacher or a tutor.

2. How can I improve my grades in Geometry?

Improving your grades in Geometry requires practice and a strong understanding of the concepts. Make sure to attend all your classes and actively participate in class discussions. Take notes, review them regularly, and ask questions when you don't understand something. Practice solving problems and seek help from your teacher or a tutor when needed.

3. Is there a specific study method that can help me in Geometry?

Every student learns differently, so there is no one-size-fits-all study method for Geometry. However, some effective methods include practicing regularly, using flashcards for formulas and definitions, creating visual aids such as diagrams and charts, and working on sample problems. Find a study method that works best for you and stick to it.

4. I'm afraid I won't pass my Geometry class. What should I do?

If you feel like you are struggling to pass your Geometry class, don't panic. Talk to your teacher about your concerns and ask for additional help or resources. You can also join a study group with your classmates or seek help from a tutor. With dedication and hard work, you can improve your understanding and pass your class.

5. How can I apply Geometry in real life?

Geometry has many practical applications in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and computer graphics. The ability to visualize and understand geometric shapes and figures is also essential in everyday activities like measuring objects, planning routes, and creating designs. By mastering Geometry, you can develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied in many real-life situations.