Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having Trouble Understanding Chi Squared Stuff

1. Nov 22, 2006 #1
    So I have my fit for my data (in this case it's the e/m lab, where the slope of my trend line = e/m).

And I calculated the required y - (Ax + B) values, but I have no idea what to use for standard deviation to divide each value by. To be honest, I'm just lost in the notation. I remember in the lecture hearing that if all the STD's are the same, you can pull that out of the sum, but I have no idea which STD's he was talking about, since I have 3 different measured quantities.

Also, degrees of freedom. Since I used 5 data points and had to measure 3 different quantities for each point, I would use D = 5 - 3 = 2?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2006 #2
    I figured it out! I just make up the data to make it look pretty! That's how you get all the grant money.

4. Nov 23, 2006 #3
    No, seriously, I could still use some help.

I think I figured out which STD to use. Since my y-values are averages from 5 sets of data to get 5 data points, I just use the STD for the 5 different sets of data as my 5 different STD's, right?

I'm still not sure I understand the degree's of freedom, though.

5. Nov 27, 2006 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?