Having trouble understanding the dB formula

In summary, dB is a ratio that compares two values and is calculated using the formula dB = 10*log(P1/P2). P1 and P2 represent the power or intensity of the two values being compared. To compare two values of dB, a 3dB change represents a doubling in intensity and a 10dB change represents a 10x increase in intensity. For example, a change from 80dB to 105dB represents a 320x increase in intensity.
Cee
I know that to work out dB the formula is: dB = 10*log(P1/P2
I just don't get what the P1 and P2 are exactly but I know that dB is a ratio that expresses 2 values?

And also, how do you compare two values of dB. Say, there's 80dB and 105dB, how do you work out how many times louder is the 105dB compared to the 80dB?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cee said:
I know that to work out dB the formula is: dB = 10*log(P1/P2
I just don't get what the P1 and P2 are exactly but I know that dB is a ratio that expresses 2 values?

And also, how do you compare two values of dB. Say, there's 80dB and 105dB, how do you work out how many times louder is the 105dB compared to the 80dB?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I have always had dB = 10*log(I1/I2) where I is the intensity - Watts per square metre.
P implies Power, which would account for the Watts - but seems to assume equal areas?

As for difference in sound

a 3dB change is both the smallest change the average human can notice, and also represents a doubling in intensity.

Log(2) = 0.3, so 10*log(2) = 3

Considering 80dB to 105dB

80 = reference level
83 = twice the intensity
86 = twice that - or 4x the original
89 = double again - 8x
92 - 16x
95 - 32x times

Note that log(10) = 1 meaning 10*log(10) = 10 so 10x intensity = +10 dB

95 --> 105 = +10dB so 10x intensity.

so 95 --> 105 = 10x the already 32x

SO 80 dB - 105 dB = 320x

note: log(320) = 2.5, so 10*log(320) = 25

so +25dB means 320x intensity.

Or to go the other way

80dB --> 105 dB = + 25dB which means +2.5 B

[remember dB means deci-Bels or tenths of Bels so 25 dB = 2.5 B]

102.5 = 320

so + 25 dB = 320x intensity

1. What is the dB formula?

The dB (decibel) formula is used to measure the relative intensity of sound or power. It is a logarithmic scale that compares the measured value to a reference value.

2. How do I calculate dB?

dB can be calculated using the formula: dB = 10 * log10 (P1/P0), where P1 is the measured value and P0 is the reference value.

3. What is the reference value for dB?

The reference value for dB can vary depending on the type of measurement being taken. For sound, the reference value is 0 dB which is equivalent to the threshold of human hearing. For power, the reference value is often 1 watt.

4. Why is dB measured on a logarithmic scale?

dB is measured on a logarithmic scale because it allows for a wide range of values to be represented in a more manageable scale. This is especially useful when measuring large differences in intensity or power.

5. Can dB values be negative?

Yes, dB values can be negative. This indicates that the measured value is lower than the reference value. For example, -3 dB would mean the measured value is half of the reference value.