What is the formula for converting decibels to a power ratio?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
AgustRunarsson
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Note: I'm sorry if I have to use the template, but I already have the solution, I just do not understand it and need help understanding it.
1. Question: A firework explodes at a 40 metre height and gives off a bang which measures at 100 dB at ground level. What is the power of the sound that comes off the firework?

This is the solution:

xlcdqf.png

I understand what is going on, for the most part.
What I do not understand exactly is at the second part the "100 dB" becomes 10^100dB/10 which removes the log. How? I understand that the exponent is 10 in "10*log" but I don't really understand how the 10 comes from in the exponent of the 10 itself.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
 
Attachments
  • xlcdqf.png
    xlcdqf.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 614
Physics news on Phys.org
AgustRunarsson said:
What I do not understand exactly is at the second part the "100 dB" becomes 10^100dB/10 which removes the log. How? I understand that the exponent is 10 in "10*log" but I don't really understand how the 10 comes from in the exponent of the 10 itself.

If ##A = B \log_{10} C##, then ##A/B = \log_{10} C##, and ##C =##?