1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble with a relative motion problem

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1
    Two ships, A and B, leave port at the same time. Ship A travels northwest at 20 knots and ship B travels at 27 knots in a direction 43° west of south. (1 knot = 1 nautical mile per hour; see Appendix D.) What are (a) the magnitude (in knots) and (b) direction (measured relative to east) of the velocity of ship A relative to B? (c) After how many hours will the ships be 150 nautical miles apart? (d) What will be the bearing of B (the direction of the position of B) relative to A at that time? (For your angles, takes east to be the positive x-direction, and north of east to be a positive angle. The angles are measured from -180 degrees to 180 degrees. Round your angles to the nearest degree.)

I am able to obtain the answers to a-c, but my textbook is not very helpful on how I'm supposed to find the answer to d.

I get 34.1 knots for a, 83 degrees for b, and 4.4 hours for c. I can't for the life of me figure out how to approach d. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2006 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Draw a picture, you need the vector between the final positions. Think about it, perhaps you are making it hardier then it is.

4. Feb 20, 2006 #3
    I still don't get it. Are there any other hints you can give me?

5. Feb 20, 2006 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to find the difference between the final positions of the ships.

6. Feb 20, 2006 #5
    I'm a little confused as to how to get the final positions.

I have the following hunch: If 1 nautical mile per hour = 1 knot, and I know that t = 4.4, couldn't I just add 4.4 knots to each original magnitude and then go from there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?