1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble with Helmholtz Coil Experiment Calculations

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Number of wraps of coil on magnetic moment in field: 100 - N_c
    Number of wraps of coil on Helmholtz coil: 140 - N_h
    Current through magnetic moment: .796A - I_c
    Area of magnetic moment: .37m - A_c
    Radius of Helmholtz coil: .1635m - R_h
    Current through Helmholtz coil to attain equilibrium on balance: 1.32, 2.61,3.91 corresponding to gravitational torques caused by counterweights that are .255m away, .0001g,.0002g,.0003g

2. Relevant equations
    Bh=(8u_0*N_h*I_h)/(5^(3/2) * R_h)
    as well as T_m = B_h * N_c*I*A_c

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the three torques both gravitational as well as magnetic based on the formulas provided above. Each time I recieved an answer that was a magnitude of 100 apart. Based on my thinking the T_g and T_m should be equal as the magnetic torque should balance out the gravitational torque. I have checked to make sure all of my units are in SI and I still cannot determine why im not getting the calculations that I should. I also cannot make heads or tails of how the Area of the magnetic moment within the field should have a vector and if it does, how to describe its orientation in space.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Do you get "exactly" 100 as factor between the answers? This would hint to some conversion errors, or a missing factor of N_c somewhere.
    If the factor is 125, the factor of 5^(3/2) is in the wrong part of the fraction.
    Can you show your calculations? I don't see an obvious error here. I think the prefactor 8/(5^(3/2)) is given somewhere?

A notation like "100 - N_c" is confusing, this looks like a subtraction. Why don't you write 100 = N_c, or (better) N_c = 100?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted