Having trouble with simplifying things

In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to improve their understanding of calculus, specifically with regards to simplifying equations. They mention struggling with simplifications and not being able to apply basic steps, even with the help of resources like Khan Academy. They also mention using the quotient rule and how it can be messy and difficult to simplify. However, the person providing advice suggests using alternative methods such as rewriting expressions with negative exponents and roots. The person seeking advice is still struggling with simplifying their equation and is looking for more practice to improve their skills.
smulc
This isn't about any specific problem, I'm just hoping for a bit of advice. I've been out of education for a long time and am now doing an OU degree. I've passed the first level with high marks but have been struggling in some of the maths.

Basically, I've been doing calculus and the bit I'm struggling with is the simplifications. It seems like because I've had to start learning from scratch again I've had to move over things so quickly that some of the basics haven't sunk in.

For example, differentiating f(x) = √x / ln(4x)

I had no problem coming up with this

(ln(4x))(1/2√x) - (√x)(1/x)
(ln4x)2

But I didn't even know where to start with simplifying it. I have the answer now, and even looking at the answer I still can't do it myself. Can anyone recommend any material I could work through to help with things like this? I've looked at Khan academy but this seems to be too much of a general thing to be covered.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
smulc said:
This isn't about any specific problem, I'm just hoping for a bit of advice. I've been out of education for a long time and am now doing an OU degree. I've passed the first level with high marks but have been struggling in some of the maths.

Basically, I've been doing calculus and the bit I'm struggling with is the simplifications. It seems like because I've had to start learning from scratch again I've had to move over things so quickly that some of the basics haven't sunk in.

For example, differentiating f(x) = √x / ln(4x)

I had no problem coming up with this

(ln4x)2

But I didn't even know where to start with simplifying it. I have the answer now, and even looking at the answer I still can't do it myself. Can anyone recommend any material I could work through to help with things like this? I've looked at Khan academy but this seems to be too much of a general thing to be covered.

Thanks.

I'm assuming your function is to be read : ##\frac{\sqrt{x}}{ln(4x)}##.

Let me give you some advice which may potentially make your life easier. Do NOT use the quotient rule. It's messy and hard to simplify things.

You can re-write something like ##\frac{1}{x}## as ##x^{-1}## or ##\frac{1}{x^3}## as ##x^{-3}##. In general ##\frac{1}{x^n}## can be written ##x^{-n}##.

You can also re-write roots like so ##\sqrt[n]{x} = x^{ \frac{1}{n} }##.

Using these ideas for your function you can re-write it as :

##f(x) = (x^{1/2})(ln(4x))^{-1}##.

Now you can differentiate it much more easily using the power, product and chain rules.

Last edited:
Thanks, that does make it easier to deal with. I'm still having issues though, as the problem is I can't simply them. I know this is meant to be a basic step just to clean it up, but I just don't seem to be able to do it. Using your method of avoiding the quotient rule I came up with this (I wasn't sure how you typed the equation like that on here so I had to post a picture)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/1uj1.jpg/

I'm struggling to arrange things like this to their simplest form. I'm hoping to find somewhere that I can get more practice in doing it, as I know it shouldn't be a problem and is meant to be straight forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi smulc! :smile:
smulc said:
(ln4x)2

can't you see a way of simplifying (√x)(1/x) ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi smulc! :smile:

can't you see a way of simplifying (√x)(1/x) ? :wink:

I know that part would just be 1 / √x but I can't do much more than that

smulc said:
I know that part would just be 1 / √x but I can't do much more than that

yes you can

you can subtract it from the 1/(2√x) that comes just before it! :wink:

1. How can I simplify complex concepts?

There are a few strategies you can use to simplify complex concepts. One option is to break the concept down into smaller, more manageable pieces. You can also try using analogies or visual aids to help explain the concept. Additionally, it can be helpful to practice explaining the concept to someone else, as this can help you identify areas that may be confusing or need further simplification.

2. What if I have trouble understanding complex ideas?

If you are having trouble understanding complex ideas, it may be helpful to approach the concept from a different angle. Try finding different resources, such as videos or articles, that explain the concept in a different way. You can also try discussing the concept with others or asking questions to clarify your understanding.

3. How can I simplify my writing or presentations?

To simplify your writing or presentations, it can be helpful to focus on one main idea or message and build your content around that. Use clear and concise language, avoid jargon or technical terms, and use visual aids or examples to help illustrate your points. It may also be helpful to have someone else read or review your work to provide feedback on areas that may need further simplification.

4. What if I have trouble simplifying data or information?

If you are struggling to simplify data or information, try organizing it in a clear and logical manner. Use headings, graphs, or charts to help make the data more visually appealing and easier to understand. You can also try using different colors or fonts to highlight important information. Additionally, it may be helpful to practice explaining the data to someone else to identify areas that may need further simplification.

5. How can I improve my overall ability to simplify things?

Improving your ability to simplify things takes practice and patience. One helpful strategy is to try to approach complex concepts from a beginner's mindset. This means breaking the concept down into its most basic elements and building your understanding from there. You can also try to simplify things in your everyday life, such as explaining a new hobby or task to a friend, to strengthen your simplification skills. Additionally, seeking feedback from others and being open to constructive criticism can help you improve your ability to simplify things.