Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hawking Moving to Waterloo (Perimeter Institute)?

1. Jul 16, 2008 #1

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Very interesting George.

4. Jul 16, 2008 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now that's one way to put some serious pressure on your government!

5. Jul 16, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But it's hardly like Hawking or the rest of DAMTP gets hit by the funding crisis.

Anyway, I'll wait and see if Hawking really moves- from that newspaper article, all that was apparent was that he was going to visit Perimeter for a month. That said, he is 66, so presumably will be retiring soon anyway.

6. Jul 16, 2008 #5

I have never pictures Hawkings retiring, I watched a documentary a while back called master of the universe or something like that, and the man looked to driven by his work I really can't imagine him retiring until his condition deteriorates to a state where he can no longer work.

7. Jul 16, 2008 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He doesn't even have to move ... but the PR damage was done when all the speculation began.

Incidentally, I was only recently given an idea of how bad the problem is in the UK when I got an email from a big group at Cavendish, saying they haven't had a grant come through in ages.

But based on your comment above, I wonder if Condensed Matter is not suffering more than other fields.

8. Jul 16, 2008 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Interesting. Turok is headed there to assume position of executive director.

Dr. Neil Turok Appointed Executive Director of Perimeter Institute
    http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/Ne...ted_Executive_Director_of_Perimeter_Institute

So perhaps - Hawking would be enticed by Turok's move to PI.

9. Jul 16, 2008 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

10. Jul 16, 2008 #9
    Raymond Laflamme, who is the director of the institute for quantum computing in Waterloo, is also a former student of Stephen Hawking.... I can't imagine that Hawking would consider moving to Perimeter for the terrific weather.

11. Nov 27, 2008 #10
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  12. Nov 28, 2008 #11

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

13. Nov 28, 2008 #12

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess that this means that all physicists are now morally obliged to use a Blackberry while drinking our Carlsberg:wink:

14. Nov 28, 2008 #13
    Ummm... what exactly would he do with his spare time? All he can really do anymore is think, and by the looks of it he really likes to do that.

15. Nov 28, 2008 #14

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As in retiring from his job: the Lucasian chair. You have to retire from such positions. Anyway, this thread was started before he'd announced his retirement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?