Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Hawking radiation and energy-negative energy pair production

1. Apr 30, 2016 #1
    A black hole evaporates through hawking radiation, what I don't get is the requirement for an energy-negative energy pair production. Since it's the black hole's gravitational energy that's responsible for the pair production, even if one of them escapes, the black hole would lose energy anyway. Also, if it's gravitational energy is not responsible for pair production, it's still responsible for "boosting" the virtual pair into real particles, and then too if one escapes, the black hole would lose energy. So what's the requirement of a negative energy particle entering the black hole?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hawking has stated that the "virtual particle pair" explanation of "Hawking Radiation" is not actually correct, it's just the only way he could think of to express in English what can really only be expressed properly in the math. Unfortunately, the popular press ALWAYS describes it as particle pairs, which is where I'm sure you got your information. So in short, your question is based on an incorrect assumption.

4. Apr 30, 2016 #3
    Is it because hawking radiation is quantized?
    And is the fact that gravity is sometimes referred to as negative energy relevant here?

5. Apr 30, 2016 #4
    So basically there's no way to understand this conceptually without dealing with the mathematical aspect of it, you mean?

6. Apr 30, 2016 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That is my understanding, yes. The "particle pair" explanation is reasonable at the non-detail level but you can't extrapolate that concept in ways that you would be able to if it was the actual explanation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted