Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HDMI / Component Video Switches

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1

minger

Science Advisor

HDMI / Component Video "Switches"

Hi guys, I just entered the HDTV realm and I'm having a little difficulty setting up my system. I don't have any place to put old extra TVs, so I have three (no, the girlfriend doesn't like it) TV's basically side by side.

Are there splitter switch things so that I could output my PS3/Wii to 2 of the TV and use a box or something to chose which TV it goes to?

Basically I'd like to be able to use everything on the new TV, but if it's in use, I'd like to be able to hit a switch and output it to one of the auxiliary TVs without switching wires which is what I'm doing now and I think it bush league.

Thanks a bunch,

edit: Actually only the new TV has HDMI input, so I would only need to "split" the Wii's component audio/video. I would think that simply splitting them would lose quality/signal. Am I correct in this thinking?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Re: HDMI / Component Video "Switches"

Yes, there are such things as component-video switches. I used one myself for a while before I converted all my HD connections to HDMI. Here's an example:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10112

I didn't actually use this one, but I bought my current HDMI switch from this company, and they're well-regarded as a source for good, inexpensive audio/video cables, connectors, switches, etc.

4. Apr 1, 2010 #3

minger

Science Advisor

I think that's the opposite of what I want. I don't need "extra" inputs or expand the number of inputs my televisions I have; I have plenty.

Rather I'd like to be able to output the signal from my Wii to two televisions without loss of quality. I suppose the first question before hardware would be if simply splitting the signal of the component audio/video will result in losses of quality/strength?

5. Apr 2, 2010 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

As far as I know, component-video switches can pass the signal in both directions, so they should work for what you want. It's simply that most people use them as I did, to allow more than one device to use a single input on a TV.

You won't be able to watch the same thing on more than one TV, of course.

Monoprice also sells component-video splitters, but I don't know how well one would work in your situation.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10422

6. Apr 2, 2010 #5

minger

Science Advisor

Maybe the solution is to pick up a cheap splitter and see how well it works. If it doesn't work well, try picking up a switch and use it in reverse.

Thanks,

7. Apr 17, 2010 #6

I have used a plain old A/V switch for Component Video. They both use RCA connectors and the L/R audio connectors could be used for video. In this case the audio was going to stereo and not the television. The stereo had enough inputs so each source has it's own connectors.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook