Heat to warm 4 kg ice from -20°C to 10°C including melting

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sabres151
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Ice
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Sabres151
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
A 4.00kg block of ice is removed from a freezer where its temperature was maintained at -20C. Find the heat that the ice must absorb in order to warm up to its melting point, melt, and then the water warms up to 10.0 degrees. The specific heat capacity of ice = 2000J/kg-degrees C, the specific heat of water is 4180 J/kg-degrees C and the latent heat of fusion for ice is 335000 J/kg.

I don't even know where to start.
Something with this: Q = Cm(delta T)
DeltaT = 30 degrees C
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you need a 3 energies -

one to heat the ice
one to melt the ice
one to heat the water

th first and third are calculated the way you state (but with different speicifc heats, since they are different for water and ice)
the second is calculated by mass * specific heat capacity
 
stunner5000pt said:
you need a 3 energies -

one to heat the ice
one to melt the ice
one to heat the water

th first and third are calculated the way you state (but with different speicifc heats, since they are different for water and ice)
the second is calculated by mass * specific heat capacity

Ok, that clarifies a few things then. Thanks for the help Stunner. Though I'm not exactly sure what "latent heat of fusion" means, I think it applies to the mass equation..
 
stunner5000pt said:
you need a 3 energies -

one to heat the ice
one to melt the ice
one to heat the water

th first and third are calculated the way you state (but with different speicifc heats, since they are different for water and ice)
the second is calculated by mass * specific heat capacity

Ok, that clarifies a few things then. Thanks for the help Stunner. Though I'm not exactly sure what "latent heat of fusion" means, I think it applies to the mass equation..
 
stunner5000pt said:
you need a 3 energies -

one to heat the ice
one to melt the ice
one to heat the water

th first and third are calculated the way you state (but with different speicifc heats, since they are different for water and ice)
the second is calculated by mass * specific heat capacity

Ok, that clarifies a few things then. Thanks for the help Stunner. Though I'm not exactly sure what "latent heat of fusion" means, I think it applies to the mass equation..
 
Sabres151 said:
Ok, that clarifies a few things then. Thanks for the help Stunner. Though I'm not exactly sure what "latent heat of fusion" means, I think it applies to the mass equation..

latent heat of fusion is the amount of energy required per kilogram to melt the ice