Heat and Conservation of Energy

In summary, the problem involves a large punch bowl holding 3.00 kg of lemonade at 1.00 degree celsius with a 0.055 kg ice cube at 0 degrees placed in it. The final temperature of the system must be calculated by using the equations Q=mcΔT and Q=mL to determine the heat needed to melt the ice and the heat gained from the water cooling down. The latent heat equation is only used for processes involving a change in phase.
bfite8

Homework Statement

A large punch bowl holds 3.00 kg of lemonade (which is essentially just water) at 1.00 degree celsius. A 0.055 kg ice cube at 0 degrees is placed in the lemonade. What is the final temperature of the system?

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT
Q=mL

The Attempt at a Solution

Having a hard time understanding the concept of heat lost and gained and when to use the latent heat equation in problems.
All I really know of how to start this out is Q(water) + Q(ice)=0

Physics news on Phys.org
Lemonade cools down, ice melts. Question is, is there enough ice to cool the lemonade to zero?

i have no clue tbh

I was trying to point you in the right direction, you took my comment too literally. Whether there is enough ice is a thing that has to be calculated.

How much heat is needed to melt the ice?

How much heat would you get from the water cooling it down to 0°C?

Borek said:
I was trying to point you in the right direction, you took my comment too literally. Whether there is enough ice is a thing that has to be calculated.

How much heat is needed to melt the ice?

How much heat would you get from the water cooling it down to 0°C?

ok so for this i need to use (mass of ice)(latent heat of fusion)and (mass of water)(latent heat of fusion) ?

i think this is somewhat on the right track. thank you sir for helping

Melting the ice is a process described by the latent heat equation.

Cooling down the water is a process described by the other equation, the one with ΔT.

ah right thanks. don't know why i thought of using the latent heat equation for the water. it's just cooling down, not changing phase

What is heat?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a temperature difference between the two objects. It is typically measured in units of joules (J) or calories (cal).

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance, while heat is the total amount of thermal energy transferred between two objects. In other words, temperature is a measure of the intensity of heat, while heat is a measure of the quantity of thermal energy.

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system will remain constant over time.

How is heat transferred?

Heat can be transferred through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

How is heat related to the conservation of energy?

Heat is a form of energy, and the law of conservation of energy applies to all forms of energy. This means that in any energy transformation, the total amount of energy will remain the same. In the case of heat, it can be transformed into other forms of energy, such as mechanical or electrical energy, but the total amount of energy will remain constant.