1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat and Conservation of Energy

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A large punch bowl holds 3.00 kg of lemonade (which is essentially just water) at 1.00 degree celsius. A 0.055 kg ice cube at 0 degrees is placed in the lemonade. What is the final temperature of the system?

2. Relevant equations
    Q=mcΔT
    Q=mL

3. The attempt at a solution
    Having a hard time understanding the concept of heat lost and gained and when to use the latent heat equation in problems.
    All I really know of how to start this out is Q(water) + Q(ice)=0

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Lemonade cools down, ice melts. Question is, is there enough ice to cool the lemonade to zero?

4. Sep 29, 2012 #3
    i have no clue tbh

5. Sep 29, 2012 #4

Borek

I was trying to point you in the right direction, you took my comment too literally. Whether there is enough ice is a thing that has to be calculated.

How much heat is needed to melt the ice?

How much heat would you get from the water cooling it down to 0°C?

6. Sep 29, 2012 #5
    ok so for this i need to use (mass of ice)(latent heat of fusion)and (mass of water)(latent heat of fusion) ?

i think this is somewhat on the right track. thank you sir for helping

7. Sep 29, 2012 #6

Borek

Melting the ice is a process described by the latent heat equation.

Cooling down the water is a process described by the other equation, the one with ΔT.

8. Sep 29, 2012 #7
    ah right thanks. don't know why i thought of using the latent heat equation for the water. it's just cooling down, not changing phase

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook