Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Capacity/ Density/ Conductivity

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    Hi guys,

Just like to check with you:

How does heat capacity, density and conductivity plays a part in the melting of a certain material.

I mean, if a material has a lower heat capacity, while other factors are the same, does that mean it will melt faster compared to one with a higher heat capacity when exposed to the same amount of heat intensity?

Likewise for density and conductivity, how to they play a part in the melting of a certain material?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look into thermal diffusivity, which governs how fast thermal energy propagates. It is connected to the variables you mention above.

4. Jan 26, 2009 #3

minger

Science Advisor

Thermal diffusivity is important, but I think the OP wanted to know how the specific components affect the melting.

The thermal conductivity [tex]k[/tex] governs how fast heat is transferred through conduction.
    [tex] q = kA \frac{dT}{dx}[/tex]
    Density and specific heat governs how the temeprature changes with heat.
    [tex] \Delta T = \frac{Q}{mc}[/tex]
    With mass of course being related to density.

5. Jan 26, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it doesn't; time doesn't appear independently in that equation. Although copper has a higher thermal conductivity than gold, for example, a temperature rise propagates faster in gold. In the heat equation

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=\alpha \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

(1-D shown for simplicity), the thermal diffusivity [itex]\alpha[/itex] (units m2 s-1) is an exact function of thermal conductivity, density, and specific heat. I wanted to let Skyeagle find the relationship on her/his own.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  6. Jan 26, 2009 #5

minger

Science Advisor

whoops, my mistake. Good catch!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?