Heat capacity of a heating element, in a flow of air

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
James125
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Air is flowing through a pipe, through a heater matrix.

Flow, Inlet temperature and heater power vary. Is it possible to calculate the heat capacity of the matrix by using the Inlet & outlet temperatures, power & flow?

I'm assuming no heat loss to the pipe walls to make it easier, but I'm not sure how to do this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Please describe the actual configuration more completely and explain what you mean by heat capacity of the matrix .
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
I want to work out the heat capacity of the heater and thus the temperature that it will be.

Heating.png
 
James125 said:
I want to work out the heat capacity of the heater and thus the temperature that it will be.

View attachment 211151
Reference from Engineering Toolbox
Power = temperature differential * flow volume * air density * specific heat. Keep in mind that specific heat is influenced by how much water vapor is in the air.

Also, consider that happens to the heater element when air flow falls below a certain point - surface temperature climbs as flow decreases - flow too low, and the element melts. To prevent this, electrical resistance space heaters often incorporate a safety thermostat clamped to the element surface.