1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Capacity of Distinguishable Particles

1. Apr 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A system of N distinguishable particles, each with two energy levels. The lower energy level has energy equal to zero, and the higher energy level has energy ##\epsilon##. The higher energy level is four fold degenerate. Calculate the heat capacity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have an expression for the heat capacity, but I think I have a problem that it does not go to zero as temperature goes to zero, and was hoping to get some help on this matter.

The partition function for such a system is given by

##Z = \Sigma_s g_s e^{-\beta E(s)} = 1 + 4e^{- \beta \epsilon}##, where ##\beta = \frac{1}{k_B T}##

The average energy of the system ##\bar{E} = - \frac{1}{Z} \frac{\partial Z}{\partial \beta} = \frac{4 \epsilon e^{- \beta \epsilon}}{1 + 4 e^{- \beta \epsilon}} = \frac{4 \epsilon}{e^{\beta \epsilon} + 4}## and the heat capacity is given by ##C_v = \frac{\partial \bar{E}}{\partial T}##, so substituting back in the expression for ##\beta##

##C_v = \frac{\partial}{\partial T} \frac{4 \epsilon}{e^{\frac{\epsilon}{k_B T}} + 4} = \frac{4 \epsilon^2 e^{\frac{\epsilon}{k_B T}}}{k_B T^2 (e^{\frac{\epsilon}{k_B T}} + 4)^2}##

It looks to me like my expression blows up at T=0.

Any help is appreciated,

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show how you are taking the limit of your expression as T goes to zero?

4. Apr 23, 2016 #3
    Your comment has made me realise I was being stupid, and just plugging zero into my equation.

I have now used l'hopital's rule and seen that the limit is indeed zero. Thanks for the nudge :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted