Heat Capacity of Distinguishable Particles

In summary, the heat capacity for a system of N distinguishable particles, each with two energy levels, can be calculated using the partition function and the average energy. However, the expression for the heat capacity may appear to blow up at T=0, but taking the limit using l'hopital's rule shows that it actually approaches zero.
BOAS

Homework Statement

A system of N distinguishable particles, each with two energy levels. The lower energy level has energy equal to zero, and the higher energy level has energy ##\epsilon##. The higher energy level is four fold degenerate. Calculate the heat capacity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an expression for the heat capacity, but I think I have a problem that it does not go to zero as temperature goes to zero, and was hoping to get some help on this matter.

The partition function for such a system is given by

##Z = \Sigma_s g_s e^{-\beta E(s)} = 1 + 4e^{- \beta \epsilon}##, where ##\beta = \frac{1}{k_B T}##

The average energy of the system ##\bar{E} = - \frac{1}{Z} \frac{\partial Z}{\partial \beta} = \frac{4 \epsilon e^{- \beta \epsilon}}{1 + 4 e^{- \beta \epsilon}} = \frac{4 \epsilon}{e^{\beta \epsilon} + 4}## and the heat capacity is given by ##C_v = \frac{\partial \bar{E}}{\partial T}##, so substituting back in the expression for ##\beta##

##C_v = \frac{\partial}{\partial T} \frac{4 \epsilon}{e^{\frac{\epsilon}{k_B T}} + 4} = \frac{4 \epsilon^2 e^{\frac{\epsilon}{k_B T}}}{k_B T^2 (e^{\frac{\epsilon}{k_B T}} + 4)^2}##

It looks to me like my expression blows up at T=0.

Any help is appreciated,

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show how you are taking the limit of your expression as T goes to zero?

TSny said:
Can you show how you are taking the limit of your expression as T goes to zero?

Your comment has made me realize I was being stupid, and just plugging zero into my equation.

I have now used l'hopital's rule and seen that the limit is indeed zero. Thanks for the nudge :)

1. What is the definition of heat capacity for distinguishable particles?

Heat capacity for distinguishable particles is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a specific amount of a substance by one degree Celsius.

2. How is the heat capacity for distinguishable particles calculated?

The heat capacity for distinguishable particles can be calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy absorbed by the substance by the change in temperature.

3. How does the heat capacity for distinguishable particles differ from that of indistinguishable particles?

The heat capacity for distinguishable particles takes into account the distinct properties and interactions between particles, while the heat capacity for indistinguishable particles assumes that all particles are identical and have the same interactions.

4. What factors can affect the heat capacity for distinguishable particles?

The heat capacity for distinguishable particles can be affected by the number and type of particles present, as well as their specific properties such as mass, size, and interactions with each other.

5. Why is understanding the heat capacity for distinguishable particles important in scientific research?

Understanding the heat capacity for distinguishable particles is important in many fields of research, including thermodynamics, material sciences, and environmental studies. It allows scientists to accurately predict and control the thermal properties of substances, which can have a significant impact on various processes and applications.