1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Capacity Power Series Approximation

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Derive a more accurate approximation for the heat capacity at high temperatures, by keeping terms through [itex]x^{3}[/itex] in the expansions of the exponentials and then carefully expanding the denominator and multiplying everything out. Throw away terms that will be smaller than [itex](\frac{ε}{kT})^{2}[/itex] in the final answer. When the smoke clears, you should find [itex]C = Nk(1 - \frac{1}{12}(\frac{ε}{kT})^{2})[/itex]"

2. Relevant equations

In addition to the above:
    The "exact" formula for the heat capacity was found in an earlier part to the question:
    [itex]C = \frac{Nε^{2}e^{\frac{ε}{kT}}}{kT^{2}(e^{\frac{ε}{kT}} - 1)^{2}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the Power Series expansion for small x:

[itex]e^{x} ≈ 1 + x + \frac{x^{2}}{2} + \frac{x^{3}}{6}[/itex]

where [itex]x = \frac{ε}{kT}[/itex]

I expanded all this out, factoring out [itex]x^{2}[/itex] on bottom to cancel the same on top, removed powers of x greater than 2:

[itex]C = N k \frac{x^{2}(1 + x + \frac{x^{2}}{2} + \frac{x^{3}}{6})}{(x + \frac{x^{2}}{2} + \frac{x^{3}}{6})^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]C = N k \frac{x^{2}(1 + x + \frac{x^{2}}{2} + \frac{x^{3}}{6})}{x^{2} + x^{3} + \frac{7 x^{4}}{12} + \frac{x^{5}}{6} + \frac{x^{6}}{36}}[/itex]

[itex]C = Nk\frac{1 + x + \frac{x^{2}}{2}}{1 + x + \frac{7 x^{2}}{12}}[/itex]

I'm not sure how to take this any further. I have gotten something that almost resembles what I want:

[itex]C (1 + x + \frac{7x^{2}}{12}) = N k (1 + x +\frac{7x^{2}}{12} - \frac{x^{2}}{12})[/itex]

But clearly, I can't just divide by the part attached to C and call it a day. Any tips to help get to the target answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, Fuzzletop! :smile:

You can use: [itex]{1 \over 1 - x}=1+x+x^2+x^3+...[/itex]

But before you do so, you should expand your denominator with one extra term in the first step.
    And then you need to keep all powers up to power 3 (power 5 in the denominator since that reduces to power 3).

4. Oct 31, 2011 #3
    Thanks!

I did manage to get something of an answer. I did so while still ignoring the powers of 3 (I tried to use them at first, but I couldn't get it to work, so I switched back to just up to powers of 2, and I tried this below; I'm sure including the powers of 3 would work equally as well):

[itex]C = Nk\frac{(1 + x + x^{2} - \frac{5x^{2}}{12} - \frac{x^{2}}{12})}{(1 + x + x^{2} - \frac{5x^{2}}{12})}

= Nk\frac{(\frac{1}{1 - x} - \frac{5x^{2}}{12} - \frac{x^{2}}{12})}{(\frac{1}{1 - x} - \frac{5x^{2}}{12})}[/itex]

Which eventually comes very close to the goal equation, but for a term [itex]\frac{5x^{2}}{12}[/itex] which I removed as it's "smaller than [itex](\frac{ε}{kT})^{2}[/itex]" (a bit less than half), and I got the answer, [itex]C = Nk(1 - \frac{1}{12}(\frac{ε}{kT})^{2})[/itex]

Thanks a lot! I'm not usually one to think of using series expansions unless I've been told to do so explicitly, so that was a great help!

5. Oct 31, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

You're welcome! :smile:

Actually, I intended (but with terms up to the 3rd power):
    [tex]C = Nk\frac{1 + x + \frac{x^{2}}{2}}{1 + x + \frac{7 x^{2}}{12}}
    = Nk(1 + x + \frac{x^{2}}{2})(1 - (x + \frac{7 x^{2}}{12}) + (x + \frac{7 x^{2}}{12})^2 - ...)[/tex]

6. Oct 31, 2011 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook