1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Conduction - How long does it take?

1. Oct 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In order to stay warm, divers often wear some sort of thermal protection, like a "wetsuit". Often this is a neoprene "foamed" material, which traps gas bubbles as the insulating material. For this problem, assume:

• the thermal conductivity is that of air (κ = 0.03 W/m-K)
    • the suit thickness is d = 3.5 mm
    • the area of the suit is A ~2 m2
    • the diver's initial body temperature is Td,i = 37°C (98.6°F)
    • the water temperature is Tw = 2°C
    • the diver "weighs" m = 60 kg
    • the specific heat of the diver is cd = 3480 J/kg-K (this is slightly less than the specific heat of water 4184 J/kg-K due to the presence of protein, fat, and minerals)
    • the diver will start to experience loss of motor skills due to hypothermia when his core temperature cools to below Td,f = 35°C (95°F).
      (Note: Throughout this problem we are also implicitly assuming that the diver is at a uniform temperature, which obviously is an over-simplification [since our bodies are evolutionarily engineered to maintain a stable core temperature, even if we have cold limbs...].)
    Values I have calculate so far:
    Thermal Resistance of wet suit Rth: 0.058333 K/Watt
    Heat Capacity of the diver: 208800 J/K
    τ: (time constant for differential equation): 12179.9

Estimate how long (in minutes) the diver can stay in the water (before feeling the effects of hypothermia).

2. Relevant equations

The solution to a differential equation is as follows:

TA(t) = TB + (TA0 - Tb)e^-t/τ

3. The attempt at a solution

Solving everything symbolically yields

τln( (TA - TB)/(TA0 - TB)) = -t

TA0 = 37°C
    TA = 35°C
    TB = 2°C
    τ = 12179.9

∴t = 716.673s -> 11.94min

Apparently, the answer is wrong. I even had a friend check my work and he said my work is ok.

What's going on?

Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Simple cross-check: Initial power is 600 W, which won't change much during the process. At 209 kJ/K, a change by 2 K is 418 kJ, and 418kJ/600W = 700 seconds. A bit more because the temperature difference goes down slightly. Your answer is right.

An actual diver won't die after 12 minutes, of course - their body will produce heat, the skin temperature will get lower, limiting heat loss, and so on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted