Heat equation with radiation effect

In summary, the problem deals with finding the steady state temperature at the other end of a 3m long copper pipe with a diameter of 170mm and a thickness of 3mm. The inner end is fixed at 1K and insulated to prevent conduction or convection, but radiation is still present. Assuming no effect from the inside of the pipe, with emissivity of 0.1, the differential equation for the temperature turns out to be d^2 T(x)/dx^2 = C - \epsilon \sigma A*T(x)^4, where C = \epsilon \sigma A*T(outer)^4. By approximating that T_copper << T_atm, the equation becomes more manageable and the temperature
gamer_x_

Homework Statement

Let's say you have a 3m long copper pipe, 3mm in thickness with a diameter of 170mm. You fix one end at 1K and insulate it to prevent conduction or convection between the air and the pipe itself. There is still radiation. Assume that the inside of the pipe has no effect (radiative, conductive or otherwise). emissivity is 0.1, find the steady state temperature at the other end of the pipe.

The atmosphere is at 300K. We can assume the problem is 1 dimensional and approximate that the temperature will be constant across the 3 mm thickness.

Homework Equations

[tex]\alpha*d^2 u/dx^2 = du/dt = 0 [/tex](steady state)

[tex]Q = mCdT[/tex]
[tex]P = \epsilon \sigma A*T^4[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I'm having with solving this scenario is that the differential equation becomes something I've never seen before. There is heat emitted through radiation at every dx due to the temperature at that x coordinate, which, coupled with the conduction across the pipe will then be equal to the heat gained from the input radiation.

The differential equation turns out to look like:

[tex]d^2 T(x)/dx^2 = C - \epsilon \sigma A*T(x)^4[/tex]

where [tex]C = \epsilon \sigma A*T(outer)^4 [/tex]

I don't have a second boundary condition, and this turns into a DE that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies. I've considered approximating it by saying that T_copper << T_atm so T^4 effect from copper is insignificant, which makes the equation a much more manageable:

[tex]d^2 T(x)/dx^2 = C[/tex]

But I would prefer not to make this assumption. Does anyone have any suggestions? I realize if the pipe was long enough I would just be able to say that the other end is fixed at 300K equal to the surroundings, but I would need to show that 3m is enough distance from the infinite 1K source to use this assumption.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't agree with your governing equation. Right away, we can see that the units don't match up. The pipe thermal conductivity and the inner diameter don't appear, but should.

you're right, there should be a constant in front of the second derivative of temperature wrt x:

[tex]
\alpha d^2 T(x)/dx^2 = C - \epsilon \sigma A*T(x)^4
[/tex]

However, I'm changing the problem into a 1D heat conduction problem because I want to solve the simpler version first. In that case, I'm only using the surface area to determine the magnitude of radiation on each dx strip. If i do this then I won't need inner diameter. I'm also assuming that the temperature is constant along depth (even though it is not).

So what is [itex]\alpha[/itex] here? A 1-D conduction + radiation equation necessarily includes the inner diameter; after all, heat is being conducted through the annulus down the length of the pipe. If you do a proper energy balance, you'll see that the solution can be simplified considerably.

Perhaps I'm not approaching the problem the same way you are:

[tex]\alpha = \kappa / c_p \rho [/tex]

[tex] C = \epsilon \sigma A * T(outer)^4 / (m*c_p) [/tex]

--> this is the delta T as contributed from external radiation, adjusted for the mass (which will have the inner and outer diameters in the calculation from area * density) as well as the heat capacity of the material

Were you thinking that I should include an inner radiation term? Where radiation is emitted towards the inside of the pipe using the inner surface area, and another term for the amount absorbed from the inside?

If that is the case, then I need to clarify that this is only part of the problem, the pipe is actually used to carry liquid helium, and my task is to investigate the effect on pipe temperature of the radiation shining on the pipe given that the liquid helium is treated as an infinite heat sink at 1K on the left side of the pipe (yes, this means superfluid state and all kinds of cool thermal properties).

I'm not sure where you're getting these terms; can you give a reference? The units still don't match up, and [itex]c_p[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex] don't belong in a steady state equation.

The inner diameter isn't related to inner radiation; it's related to heat conduction down the length of the tube, which should be proportional to [itex]d_o^2-d_i^2[/itex].

Do you mean

[tex]\frac{\kappa}{\rho c_p}\left(\frac{d^2T(x)}{dx^2}\right)=\frac{\epsilon \sigma A [T(x)^4-T^4_\infty]}{mc_p}[/tex]

where [itex]m[/itex] is the total mass and [itex]A[/itex] is the total surface area? If so, cancel the [itex]c_p[/itex], [itex]\rho[/itex], and [itex]L[/itex] out of there. Assume [itex]T(x)<<T_\infty[/itex] to get something that can be easily integrated. Find the solution by applying the boundary conditions, then go back and check your assumption.

EDIT: Fixed equation typo.

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I meant, except that I used the second derivative of temperature. I know there's a major difference, is your first derivative just a typo or is there something I missed?

By assuming that T(x) << T(outer) I can get a temperature of approximately 175K. Thanks for all of your help!

In terms of estimating the error, I can get T(x) but integrating to get the power emitted is still a hassle since it's a quadratic taken to the fourth power. Do you have any suggestions on simplifying this?

Yep, that was a typo, sorry.

I get

[tex]T(x)=(2xL-x^2)\frac{r_0\sigma \epsilon T_\infty^4}{k(r_0^2-r_i^2)}+1[/tex]

which satisfies [itex]T=1\,\mathrm{K}[/itex] at [itex]x=0[/itex] and [itex]dT/dx=0[/itex] at [itex]x=L[/itex], and which gives me [itex]T=37\,\mathrm{K}[/itex] at [itex]x=L[/itex]. I used 1000 W m-1 K-1 for copper's thermal conductivity, which might account for the difference between our answers. (Copper's thermal conductivity increases considerably at low temperatures.)

To get the power, how about looking at the conduction heat flux [itex]-\pi(r_0^2-r_i^2)\kappa \,(dT/dx)[/itex] at [itex]x=0[/itex]?

1. What is the heat equation with radiation effect?

The heat equation with radiation effect is a partial differential equation that describes the flow of heat in a material, taking into account the effects of both conduction and radiation. It is commonly used in thermodynamics and heat transfer research to model the temperature distribution in a material over time.

2. How is the heat equation with radiation effect different from the regular heat equation?

The heat equation with radiation effect differs from the regular heat equation in that it includes an additional term for radiation heat transfer. This term takes into account the transfer of heat energy through electromagnetic waves, in addition to the conduction of heat through the material.

3. What are the assumptions made in the heat equation with radiation effect?

The heat equation with radiation effect makes several assumptions, including: a constant thermal conductivity, a constant heat capacity, a constant density, and a linear relationship between temperature and heat flux. It also assumes that the material is homogeneous and isotropic.

4. How is the heat equation with radiation effect solved?

The heat equation with radiation effect can be solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. It can also be solved analytically for simple boundary conditions and geometries, but becomes more complex for more complicated cases.

5. What are some real-world applications of the heat equation with radiation effect?

The heat equation with radiation effect has many practical applications, including in the design of heating and cooling systems, the study of heat transfer in materials processing, and the analysis of thermal radiation in space. It is also used in fields such as meteorology, where it helps to predict temperature changes in the atmosphere.