Heat of combustion of methane using bond energies

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 13K views
Chocolaty
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Determine the heat of combustion of methane (CH4(g)) by writing a balanced equation and using the bond energies indicated below.

C--H = 414 KJ/mol
O==O = 502 KJ/mol
C==O = 799 KJ/mol
O--H = 464 KJ/mol
________________

I've googled it and apparently the answer is -890 KJ/mol but when I calculate it it gives me -794 KJ/mol. I must be doing something wrong :S
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting -794 KJ/mol as well. You googled the experimental value of the Heat of Combustion of methane? Maybe the difference is because the bond energies used are not fully accurate.
 
[tex]CH_4 + 2O_2 -> CO_2 + 2H_2O[/tex]
change in energy content = [tex]2*799 + 2*2*464 - (4*414 + 2*502) = -794KJ/mol[/tex]
:smile: same
any1 to point out what's wrong?
 
well, your bond energies also do not agree.
see red corrections below:
Chocolaty said:
Determine the heat of combustion of methane (CH4(g)) by writing a balanced equation and using the bond energies indicated below.

C--H = 414 KJ/mol 415.2[/color]
O==O = 502 KJ/mol 390.2[/color]
C==O = 799 KJ/mol 746.7[/color]
O--H = 464 KJ/mol 438.1[/color]
________________

I've googled it and apparently the answer is -890 KJ/mol but when I calculate it it gives me -794 KJ/mol. I must be doing something wrong :S
check below for details:
http://members.nuvox.net/~on.jwclymer/rq/hoctable.html
 
Last edited by a moderator: