Heat of Reaction 53: DH = 14.2 kJ/mol CO

  • Thread starter Thread starter ScrubsFan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
ScrubsFan
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
53. For the reaction

CO + NO2 ---> CO2 + NO

The activation energy for the forward reaction is 135 KJ/mol of CO reacted.

a) Determine the heat of reaction.


DH = Hf products - Hf reactants

= (197.9 + 240.5) - (213.6 + 210.6)

= 14.2 kJ/mol

b) From the data given, and the DHr for the reaction, determine the activation energy for the reverse reaction.


Im pretty sure I did part a right, but how do I do part b?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try thinking of the reaction graphically. Have you seen a graph of a chemical reaction, Energy vs. Time? Try drawing it out, and determine what the activation energy for the forward rxn and the heat of reaction represent graphically. Then figure out what the activation energy for the reverse reaction would look like, and see if you can then figure it out from the other values.
 
Yes I have seen and read about activation energy, and the only thing I could think of for this problem is that the activation of the forward reaction is given as 135 kJ/mol.

135 kJ/mol + 14.2 kJ/mol

= 149.2 kJ/mol

So the activation energy for the reverse reaction would be 149.2 kJ/mol?