1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Free Energy of Activation of a Reaction

1. Feb 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The standard free energy of activation of a reaction A is 83.7 kJ/mol at 298K. Reaction B is 10 million times faster at the same temperature. The products of each reaction are 10 kJ/mol more stable than the reactants.

(a) What is the standard free energy of activation of reaction B
    (c) What is the standard free energy of activation of the reverse of reaction B.

2. The attempt at a solution

I used the equation attached in the image to solve for rate B and I got 60.9 and then I added 10 for the reverse. Is that the correct way to go about this question?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If it works, and you're comfortable with it, understand what you've done, go with it.

4. Feb 22, 2015 #3
    I had the right formula, I was just using it wrong. For anyone's future reference: Take the log of the rate ratio and then solve for ΔG of each activation energy you need. To get the reverse just add the energy of the products to each reaction energy you're trying to find. Therefore:

log (1/10,000,000) = ΔGB - 83.7 kJ/mol / 2.3(0.008314 kJ/K mol)(298K)

-7 = ΔGB - 83.7 kJ/mol /5.69 kJ/mol

Now just solve for ΔGB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted