Heat produced when a dielectric is inserted into a capacitor slowly

Main Question or Discussion Point

if a capacitor is connected to a battery and then it is fully charged . then a dielectric slab of k is inserted in the capacitor while the battery is still connected SLOWLY
my question is will there be any heat produced??

my approach -- after insertion of dielectric , the charge on the capacitor increases so battery must do work and a result current must flow. so heat produced = energy produced by cell - increase in potential energy in capacitor.

my clarify **

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
if a capacitor is connected to a battery and then it is fully charged . then a dielectric slab of k is inserted in the capacitor while the battery is still connected SLOWLY
my question is will there be any heat produced??

my approach -- after insertion of dielectric , the charge on the capacitor increases so battery must do work and a result current must flow. so heat produced = energy produced by cell - increase in potential energy in capacitor.

my clarify **
Looks reasonable. But remember that real batteries have finite source resistance values. How does that affect your answer?

if i consider an ideal battery of no internal resistance then the heat will be zero
right??

berkeman
Mentor
if i consider an ideal battery of no internal resistance then the heat will be zero
right??
I guess so. It would just take extra energy from the battery to add the extra charge.