1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Heat produced when a dielectric is inserted into a capacitor slowly

1. Feb 4, 2017 #1
    if a capacitor is connected to a battery and then it is fully charged . then a dielectric slab of k is inserted in the capacitor while the battery is still connected SLOWLY
    my question is will there be any heat produced??

my approach -- after insertion of dielectric , the charge on the capacitor increases so battery must do work and a result current must flow. so heat produced = energy produced by cell - increase in potential energy in capacitor.

my clarify **

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Looks reasonable. But remember that real batteries have finite source resistance values. How does that affect your answer?

4. Feb 5, 2017 #3
    if i consider an ideal battery of no internal resistance then the heat will be zero
    right??

5. Feb 5, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I guess so. It would just take extra energy from the battery to add the extra charge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted