Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat required to evaporate water.

1. Jun 13, 2012 #1
    If 1 kg water is required to be evaporated, not at 100 degree Celsius, how can I calculate the heat required.

Let say a constant temperature of 50 degree Celsius is maintained, then what will be the scenario, and what if the constant temperature of 70 degree Celsius is maintained.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2012 #2
    Usually, when calculating the heat required, use the heat transfer equation:

Q= mcΔt

Q=energy, or heat
    m=mass
    c=specific heat capacity
    delta t= change in time

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  4. Jun 13, 2012 #3
    Delta T, in my understanding is the change in temperature.

And this equation is for calculating heat required to raise the temperature by certain degree Celsius of the given material.

I want to keep the temperature constant, that is, supplying the heat through a constant temperature air.

I wonder that will the heat required will be equal to the latent heat of vaporization of water (as it is on 100 degree Celsius), or should there be any difference.

5. Jun 14, 2012 #4
    You do not have access to steam tales or a psychrometric chart or a Mollier diagram to determine the enthalpy change from liquid water to vapour at a set temperature?

6. Jun 15, 2012 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook