Heating underneath snooker tables

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heating
In summary, snooker tables have slabs of slate and heating elements underneath to maintain a perfect temperature of 21°C. However, the arena where people are watching the game is also around 21°C, causing confusion about the need for heating elements. The Eurosport reporter mentioned a surface temperature of ca. 35°C, which is higher than the 5°C above room temperature mentioned on Wiki. The tables have digital displays showing a temperature of 50°C, which is the temperature of the heating element beneath the slate. This results in a surface temperature of 35°C, making it more plausible than 21°C.
TSN79
I'm into watching snooker. The tables have slabs of slate under the cloth. They also have heating elements underneath in order to heat the surface to 21°C which apparently is perfect. What I don't get is that the arena is probably around 21°C in the first place as people are sitting there watching the whole thing. So wouldn't the table just reach 21°C because of that...?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, they are heated up to ca. 35°C surface temperature. At least this was the number the Eurosport reporter told. The heating element itself has more. Wiki speaks of 5°C above room temperature, but I think the professional tables are warmer (or the TV arenas are hotter anyway, such that isn't necessarily a contradiction).

The tables have digital displays you can sometimes get a glimpse of, and they show 50. I guess that would indicate °C, but I have no idea if that is the temp of the heating elements or something else...

Yes, that's the heating element. But as this is beneath the slate, it results in much less on the surface. And 50 - 35 is more plausible than 50-21 would be.

1. How does heating underneath snooker tables work?

Heating underneath snooker tables typically involves the installation of heating elements, such as electric heating pads or infrared panels, underneath the surface of the table. These heating elements heat up the surface of the table, providing warmth to players' hands and creating a more comfortable playing environment.

2. What are the benefits of heating underneath snooker tables?

The main benefit of heating underneath snooker tables is that it can help to regulate the temperature of the playing surface, making it more comfortable for players to handle the cues and balls. This can also help to prevent warping and damage to the table due to extreme temperature changes. Additionally, heating underneath snooker tables can provide a more luxurious and professional feel to the playing area.

3. Is heating underneath snooker tables safe?

Yes, heating underneath snooker tables is generally considered safe as long as it is installed and used correctly. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and use, and to regularly check for any potential hazards such as frayed electrical cords. It is also recommended to have the heating system inspected by a professional on a regular basis.

4. Can heating underneath snooker tables affect the playing surface?

In most cases, heating underneath snooker tables should not affect the playing surface as long as the heating elements are installed properly and the temperature is kept at a reasonable level. However, it is important to note that excessive heat or temperature fluctuations can potentially cause damage to the table, so it is important to monitor and regulate the temperature accordingly.

5. Are there any alternatives to heating underneath snooker tables?

Yes, there are alternative methods for keeping the playing surface warm, such as using heated mats or blankets on top of the table. However, these methods may not be as efficient or effective as heating underneath the table. It is also important to consider the added cost and potential safety concerns of using alternative methods.