Solar furnace for metal extraction - would it work?

In summary, the conversation discusses a prototype for a solar furnace that uses concentrated sunlight to heat a rock inside a vessel to over 3000 degrees Celsius, resulting in the vaporization and decomposition of the rock's elements. The goal is to separate the metals from the lighter elements, potentially without the need for a reducing gas. The device should be simple and effective for extracting elements on other planets or asteroids. The concept of incongruent vaporization is mentioned as a potential solution, but the main focus is on whether the different thermal velocities of the elements can aid in separation and if the contact between the hot atomic gas and cold surface can prevent recombination. The desired temperature range is 3000-5000 K, which can be achieved with
Gigel
I thought about a solar furnace prototype.

It is like this: light from the Sun is concentrated with a system of parabolic and plane mirrors on the surface of a rock, which is contained inside a vessel. The light and heat is not meant to reach the vessel, only the rock; the vessel could be cooled. The rock can be anything, like granite, basalt or a mineral ore. The light heats the rock to more than 3000 degrees Celsius and the rock materials are effectively vaporised and decomposed into component elements. I.e., the result is a mixture of atomic O, H, C, Al, Fe, Si, Na, K etc., with some compounds still. Now the resulting gases come out of the vessel at high speed and reach a cold surface or cold stream of gases.

The problem is: can the metals be separated from lighter elements in this device? I don't intend a perfect (100%) separation, but still a meaningful one (20-50% would probably do).

Does it need a flux of reducing gas (say H) to be injected into the vessel in order to avoid reoxidation of metals? Or could it do without it?

I think the elements should separate on their own without reoxidation because at a given temperature they have different thermal velocities (heavier ones move slower).

The purpose of the device is to be as simple as possible. It should make a good extraction means on other planets/asteroids, but even here on Earth.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Incongruent vaporisation may be of help here.

But I'm looking for something else: firstly whether the different thermal velocities can help with separation, and secondly whether the contact between the hot atomic gas and the cold surface can ensure condensation of metals on the surface without (at least complete) recombination with light elements. I assume that close to the solid surface of the rock vaporised gases have the same atomic composition as the rock, and any separation appears either during gas expansion or during condensation on the cold surface in front of the rock.

Useful temperatures would be 3000-5000 K, which would generate atomic gas and even plasma. Solar energy can give about 3000 K, with very good design maybe up to 5000 K (but it's hard). The limit is 5772 K, the temperature of the solar radiation, but that can't be achieved practically; beyond that a laser can be useful, but I don't plan that for now.

I recall watching a video a few years ago about a laser drilling project. Due to the differing thermal properties of the material in the rock, a stream of small fragments of rock was continually ejected from the contact point as the surface shattered. I think this is a more likely outcome than the vaporisation you are hoping for.

1. Can a solar furnace be used for metal extraction?

Yes, a solar furnace can be used for metal extraction. It utilizes concentrated solar energy to heat and melt metals, making it a renewable and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional methods of metal extraction.

2. How does a solar furnace work for metal extraction?

A solar furnace works by using mirrors to concentrate and focus sunlight onto a small area, creating intense heat. This heat is then used to melt and extract metals from their ores or raw materials.

3. What types of metals can be extracted using a solar furnace?

A solar furnace can be used to extract a wide range of metals, including aluminum, copper, iron, and zinc. It can also be used for the production of silicon, which is used in the manufacturing of solar panels.

4. Are there any limitations to using a solar furnace for metal extraction?

One limitation of using a solar furnace for metal extraction is that it requires a high level of sunlight, making it most suitable for regions with high levels of solar radiation. Additionally, it may not be as efficient for extracting certain metals that require extremely high temperatures.

5. What are the advantages of using a solar furnace for metal extraction?

There are several advantages to using a solar furnace for metal extraction. These include lower operating costs, reduced carbon emissions, and a more sustainable and environmentally friendly method of metal production. It also has the potential to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels for metal extraction.