Heiseinberg's Microscope - Trigonometric and Interpretation questions

In summary, the problem along with its solution is attached as ProblemSolution.jpg. The attempt at a solution is found in Wikipedia, which uses (Eq. 2) from the “Relevant equations” section above but, comparing it to my attached jpg file, ε = 2θ so I feel that the equation should become Δp_x = (h/λ)(sin(2θ)) but my jpg file states that it is Δp_x ≈ 2(h/λ)(sin(θ)) instead. The difficulty we are attempting to overcome is found in the equation Δp_x ≈ 2h(v/c)sinθ, is it this equation that
s3a

Homework Statement

The problem along with its solution is attached as ProblemSolution.jpg.

Homework Equations

Δx = λ/sinθ (Eq. 1)
Δp_x = (h/λ)(sinε) (Eq. 2)

The Attempt at a Solution

In Wikipedia, I found this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisenberg's_microscope which uses (Eq. 2) from the “Relevant equations” section above but, comparing it to my attached jpg file, ε = 2θ so I feel that the equation should become Δp_x = (h/λ)(sin(2θ)) but my jpg file states that it is Δp_x ≈ 2(h/λ)(sin(θ)) instead. Why is this the case? I even confirmed with Wolfram Alpha that sin(2θ) ≠ 2sin(θ). sin(2θ) = 2sinθcosθ but I don't see any cosθ anywhere.

Also, in the solution in the jpg file, there is the Δp_x ≈ 2h(v/c)sinθ equation; is it this equation that “[shows] that if we minimize Δx by reducing λ, this will result in a loss of information about the x-component of the elctron momentum?” If so, then what's the purpose of the Δx Δp_x product? Is the value of Δx Δp_x ≈ 4πħ = 2h supposed to be an approximation to the Heisenber Uncertainty Principle equation: Δx Δp_x ≥ ħ/2? Lastly, the last part of the solution says “We can attempt to overcome this difficulty by [ . . .].” What's the difficulty we are attempting to overcome? Is it the difficulty of measuring both the position and momentum of an electron simultaneously? Could someone please explain, confirm and/or deny these things to me even if it seems obvious to you?

If more information is needed or you want me to rephrase something, just ask.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• ProblemSolution.jpg
    ProblemSolution.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't attach the file.

Sorry lol but, I just did now. :)

All of these equations, on your pdf and on wikipedia, are all approximations. Maybe they all roughly explain the same thing?

Last edited:
http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys314/lectures/heis/heis.html

This lecture thing I found when I googled Heisenberg's microscope kinda defends my angle approximation idea.

Now that I look at this lecture, I'm pretty sure they are getting that 2 from the fact that the uncertainty in p ranges from -hθ/λ to +hθ/λ?

so Δpx=2hθ/λ (or sinθ if youd like)

As far as I can tell, wikipedia and your pdf are giving different but adequate explanations of the same thing.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late response and thank you! Those notes were also aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. :)

1. What is Heisenberg's Microscope?

Heisenberg's Microscope is a thought experiment proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927 to illustrate the concept of uncertainty in quantum mechanics. It involves using a microscope to measure the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously, which is not possible due to the uncertainty principle.

2. How does the uncertainty principle relate to Heisenberg's Microscope?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Heisenberg's Microscope demonstrates this by showing that the act of measuring one property of a particle will inevitably change the other, making it impossible to obtain accurate measurements of both simultaneously.

3. What is the role of trigonometry in Heisenberg's Microscope?

Trigonometry is used in Heisenberg's Microscope to calculate the uncertainty in the measurement of a particle's position and momentum. By using trigonometric functions, the uncertainty principle can be expressed mathematically and used to determine the limitations of measurements in quantum mechanics.

4. How is interpretation involved in Heisenberg's Microscope?

Interpretation is a crucial aspect of Heisenberg's Microscope, as it highlights the subjective nature of scientific observation. According to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, the act of measurement affects the state of a particle, making it impossible to fully understand its properties and behavior. Heisenberg's Microscope illustrates the limitations of our ability to interpret and understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. What are some real-world applications of Heisenberg's Microscope?

While Heisenberg's Microscope is primarily a thought experiment, its principles have been applied in a variety of real-world technologies, such as electron microscopes, atomic force microscopes, and scanning tunneling microscopes. These instruments use the uncertainty principle to obtain high-resolution images and measurements of tiny particles and structures, making them essential tools in fields such as materials science, biology, and nanotechnology.