1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle

1. May 26, 2014 #1
    Hello,

i'm solving some quite simple problems using the uncertainty principle, but I don't have access to the solutions and I really don't have a feel for what a 'sensible' answer is... When finding the minimum uncertainty in velocity, I end up with things greater than the speed of light, so I want to check i'm not making an error somewhere.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that an electron is trapped in a small region and the uncertainty in it's position is [itex]10^{-15}[/itex]m. What is the minimum uncertainty in the particles momentum? What uncertainty in the electrons velocity does this correspond to?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex](\Delta y)(\Delta p_{y}) \geq \frac{h}{4 \pi}[/itex]

Since we're dealing the minimum uncertainty, we can equate the two.

[itex](\Delta p_{y}) = \frac{h}{4 \pi (\Delta y)}[/itex] = 5.27 x 10-20 kgms-1

[itex]p = mv[/itex]

[itex]\Delta p_{y} = m (\Delta v_{y})[/itex]

[itex]\Delta v_{y} = \frac{\Delta p_{y}}{m}[/itex] = 5.79 x 1010 ms-1

This answer just seems absurd, maybe it's a consequence of the accuracy we know the electrons position to, but like I said I have no way of checking what a sensible answer is.

So, have I gone wrong somewhere?

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2014 #2
    Your mistake is to use the formula p = mv which is the non-relativistic formula. Try using p = γmv, where γ = (1 - v2/c2)-1/2.

4. May 26, 2014 #3
    Aha! Thanks, I was looking at an old example from my notes but evidently it was intended to show why the heisenberg uncertainty principle is negligible at the macroscopic level of a ping pong ball.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted