1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helicopter acceleration problem

1. Sep 30, 2014 #1
    1. A helicopter starts from rest on the ground and starts accelerating uniformly upward. After 30 seconds a flare was fired horizontally. An observer on the ground measured the time the flare reaches the ground to be 10 seconds calculate A) acceleration of helicopter B) hight flare was fired C) the height of the helicopter the instant the flare reaches the ground assuming the acceleration stays constant

2. Voy = Vo sin theta
    The constant acceleration equations

3. I don't know where to start to find acceleration. I have done sin90 to try and get voy but I know that's wrong cuz my teacher said I'm doing it all wrong lol plz help

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi Turntbull.

Can you find an expression for the time the flare takes to reach the ground after its release?

4. Oct 1, 2014 #3

PeterO

Homework Helper

Because the flare was fired horizontally, the time involved is the same as if an object was dropped - by dropped I mean held in an outstretched hand and released - it does not necessarily travel down immediately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted