Help Applications of Differential Equations to Escape velocity

In summary, the Escape Velocity Equation calculates the speed of an object launched from the Earth with an initial speed v0 and moving freely under gravity at a distance r from the center. The minimum speed v0 for the object to never return is √2gR, where R is the radius of the Earth and g is the gravitational constant. The term (v02-2gR) must be positive for the object to escape and the equation will not make sense for larger distances. The sign of the second term determines whether the object will stop at a certain distance or continue indefinitely.
black_stallio
Okay, in the Escape Velocity Equation, with the usual notations,
v2=2gR2/r + (v02-2gR)

a few articles like "www.math.binghamton.edu/erik/teaching/02-separable.pdf"[/URL]give the following explanation:

[QUOTE]In
review, we know that at the surface of the earth, i.e., at r = R, the velocity is positive, i.e., v = v[SUB]0[/SUB]. Examining the right side of the Velocity Equation reveals that the velocity of the object will remain positive if and only if:

(v[SUB]0[/SUB][SUP]2[/SUP]-2gR)>=0[/QUOTE]...

...[QUOTE]Hence, the minimum such velocity, i.e. v[SUB]0[/SUB]=√2gR is the escape velocity[/QUOTE]...(implying that [B]v[SUB]0[/SUB]>=√2gR[/B])

That raises a few doubts in my mind:
(1)Does the term 2gR[SUP]2[/SUP]/r become zero?

(2) If the answer to (1) is yes(i.e. 2gR[SUP]2[/SUP]/r=0), then how come v[SUB]0[/SUB] is allowed a value equal to √2gR?(since, substituting v[SUB]0[/SUB]=√2gR in the original equation(i.e. v[SUP]2[/SUP]=2gR[SUP]2[/SUP]/r + (v[SUB]0[/SUB][SUP]2[/SUP]-2gR)) will yield v=0(which is obviously not desired if a particle has to escape the Earth)

(3)If the answer to (1) is no(i.e. 2gR[SUP]2[/SUP]/r>0), then what is the fuss about (v[SUB]0[/SUB][SUP]2[/SUP]-2gR) being required to be positive at all? I mean, if it were negative, does it affect the original equation [I]so[/I] much that v becomes zero?

Question (3) could be rephrased in this way:
If (v[SUB]0[/SUB][SUP]2[/SUP]-2gR) becomes negative, does it [I]always[/I] become less than (2gR[SUP]2[/SUP]/r)?(thus giving v as negative)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think a little about what that first equation means, and what escape velocity means and it should become clearer.

Your first equation expresses the speed v of an object, launched from the Earth with speed v0 and moving freely under gravity, when it is a distance r from the centre. The further from the earth, the slower it will be going, so larger r means smaller v.

Escape velocity means the minimum speed v0 such that the object will never return. The object has two possibilities.

Firstly, it could stop at some rmax. This means that as you increase r in your equation, v will reduce to zero at rmax, and for r any larger, the equation stops making sense (v2 will be negative). This indicates that the object can never get to this distance. But for small enough r, the equation will still give a sensible speed. Hopefully this answers (3).

On the other hand, you could increase r indefinitely, and v will never reach zero. The object carries on forever, never stops, and never returns: it escapes. Which of the scenarios occurs depends crucially on v0; specifically the sign of the second term. Try graphing speed against distance for different values of initial speed.

Yes, I found the original explanation satisfactory after thinking on a more general level rather than looking at it in a-little-too-much detail. Sometimes, all you need is a different perspective to find an answer. Anyway thanks!

1. What is the escape velocity and why is it important?

The escape velocity is the minimum speed that an object needs to reach in order to escape the gravitational pull of a larger object, such as a planet or star. It is important because it determines whether an object can successfully leave the gravitational field of the larger object and enter into outer space.

2. How do differential equations relate to escape velocity?

Differential equations can be used to model the motion of objects under the influence of gravity. In the case of escape velocity, the differential equation used is the equation of motion, which takes into account the gravitational force and the object's initial position and velocity. Solving this differential equation can give us the escape velocity for a given object and gravitational field.

3. Can differential equations be used to calculate the escape velocity for any object?

Yes, differential equations can be used to calculate the escape velocity for any object, as long as we have the necessary information about the object's mass, the mass of the larger object, and the distance between them. The equation of motion can be used to solve for the escape velocity in any scenario.

4. How does the escape velocity vary for different objects and planets?

The escape velocity is directly proportional to the mass of the larger object and inversely proportional to the distance between the objects. This means that the escape velocity will vary for different objects and planets, depending on their masses and distances from each other.

5. Can differential equations be used to calculate the escape velocity of a rocket leaving Earth?

Yes, differential equations can be used to calculate the escape velocity of a rocket leaving Earth. The equation of motion will take into account the mass of the rocket, the mass of Earth, and the distance between them, allowing us to calculate the minimum speed the rocket needs to achieve in order to escape Earth's gravitational pull.