Kinetic energy of Earth's rotation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
franknew
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=220789
Mass of Earth= 5.98 x 10^24 kg
Earth's period of roation = 86184 seconds


Homework Equations


KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution


To be honest, I have no clue how to do this question. I am royally confused on this one. I've asked some friends of mine who are in the same class as me and they aren't sure how to do this question either.

Any help is appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
I'm assuming it means the KE of the Earth around the sun. It's a bit of a silly question because you have decide which motion to include, just the Earth around the sun or the Earth and sun around the galaxy (at a million miles a day) or the entire galaxy moving etc.
But anyway that's just confusing you ...


Think of the Earth as a car going around a circular track.
How long does it take the Earth to go around the sun?
Whats the circumference of the orbit (hint you will need the Earth-Sun distance)
From these you can get the speed then use the equation you have