Help in Homework - Kinetic Energy

In summary, the problem involves a ring with an initial kinetic energy of 0 and no external forces acting on it. The goal is to determine the distance the ring will travel and the forces acting on it. The equations used are W = F*d, W = delta KE, and PE = m*g*h. The initial forces acting on the ring are mg down, friction up, normal right, and spring left. The tension can be found using Fd = u*N = u * F * sinϴ. It is not possible for the ring to fall down the pole or have a net gain in energy.
Yuval M

Homework Statement

Problem: http://imgur.com/a/Sw2zA
rkmVMNj.jpg

Hi all,
I was given this problem as homework and I have almost no clue on how to solve it. I have tried for some time with no luck.

Homework Equations

We learned about kinetic and potential energy as well as work.
W = F*d
W = delta KE
PE = m*g*h

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the second work formula I have written, yet in the problem the ring stars with Kinetic energy of 0 and ends with Kinetic energy of 0, yet the ring still traveled some distance. This is another part I don't understand. If the ring traveled a distance, how come the work on the ring is 0?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What will/might happen at first? Did you draw a diagram to represent that? What forces act on the ring and in what directions?

Yuval M said:
If the ring traveled a distance, how come the work on the ring is 0?
W is the net work done on the ring. If you are considering the interval from starting to stopping there will be net positive work done on the ring initially to get it moving, then net negative work to bring it to rest.

First, the ring will fall down a bit (a distance I need to find), because the Force of Friction and the Force of the spring x cos@ (where @ is the angle between the pole and the spring) will be bigger than mg.
The ring should later go up, to above its starting point (I think)

I drew the Diagram, here's my best representation of it:
N acts Right.
mg acts Down
Kinetic Fiction acts Up
Spring Force acts Left+Up

Yuval M said:
First, the ring will fall down a bit
Not necessarily. What forces act on it initially?
Yuval M said:
The ring should later go up
Again, not necessarily.
Yuval M said:
to above its starting point
That really would be surprising. What would that say about the net change in energy?

haruspex said:
Not necessarily. What forces act on it initially?
The forces initially acting on the ring are:
mg DOWN
friction UP
normal RIGHT
spring LEFT

If the ring does not move, that means that Fd = mg.
I already found that the normal force acting on the ring is equal to F * sinϴ, where ϴ is the angle between the pole and the spring.
So, Fd = u*N = u * F * sinϴ.

I'm having a hard time understand why the ring does not necessarily fall down the pole.
haruspex said:
That really would be surprising. What would that say about the net change in energy?
That would say the net change would be negative, meaning it's not possible.

Yuval M said:
Fd = u*N = u * F * sinϴ.
Where Fd is frictional force and F is tension, I assume. What is the tension in terms of k, l and θ?
Yuval M said:
That would say the net change would be negative, meaning it's not possible.
No, it would mean there is a net gain in energy, which is not possible.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its current velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What are the units of kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is typically measured in joules (J) in the SI system. However, it can also be measured in other units such as calories or electronvolts.

4. How is kinetic energy related to potential energy?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are both forms of energy that an object can possess. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. They are related in that potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

5. What factors affect an object's kinetic energy?

An object's kinetic energy is affected by its mass and velocity. The greater the mass and velocity of an object, the greater its kinetic energy will be. Additionally, external forces such as friction and air resistance can also affect an object's kinetic energy.