Help drawing a function, finding its zero, local max/min

In summary, armolinasf is having difficulty finding the function's zeros, local max/min, and the function's behaviour. He was able to plot points and drew an upward sloping line but the graphing calculator showed a downward 'smile.' He was able to find the zeros where the function was equal to zero and local min/max was given by evaluating the function at -b/2a, in his case a=3, b=0, and c=-8. He ended at (0, -8) when plotting x=-2, y=-26.
gigidy-goo
Hello to all.
I'm having a few problems and would love to know how to do the following.
1. f(x) = 3x^2-8

2. Find the function's zeros, local max/min and the function's behaviour

3. My attempt at drawing the function ended with a downward curve intercepting at y=-8, x=0

But a graphing calculator showed an upward 'smile'.

Thanks in advance for any help. All I want to know is how to find the things above but the graphing calculator threw me off a bit!

Physics news on Phys.org
the graph should be upward sloping since 3x^2 is positive, your intercepts are correct though.

The functions zeros are where ever the function is equal to zero so you would solve for 0=3x^2-8 => 8=3x^2

Local min's or max's is given by evaluating the function at -b/2a, in your case a=3, b=0, and c=-8. So the max or min is the point (-b/2a, f(-b/2a)) This just comes from completing the square.

"Ended" at (0, -8)? Did you plot any points with x negative?

Hi armolinasf
Thanks for replying
The slope I drew came from changing x to -2,-1,0,1,2,3,etc so I ended up with a line starting at,
x=-3,y=-26
x=-2,y=-20
x=-1,y=-14
x=0,y=-8
x=1,y=-1
x=2,y=4
x=3, y=10.
x=4,y=16

It is going upward you're right but it doesn't look like the graph from the calculator. Do you know where I went wrong there? The calculator showed an upward smile whereas mine only starts low and goes up.

Hi hallsofivy,

Thanks for replying.

I just meant my attempt left me with a situation where x=0,y=-8.

But I'm not sure why my line doesn't look like an upward slope as per the graph?

The graph of y = 3x2 - 8 is not a "line." It is called a parabola.

What are these y-values? If they are supposed to be the y-values in the function
y = 3x2 - 8
then they are all wrong, except for x = 0, y = -8. For instance,
x = -1, y = -5
x = 0, y = -8
x = 1, y = -5

If the y-values you listed are NOT what I'm thinking of, what are they, exactly?

I think I can guess where you're getting those y-values. Except for x = 1, y = -1, the other points fit on the line

[tex]y = 3 \cdot x \cdot 2 - 8[/tex]
where you are MULTIPLYING x by 2, whereas the function you originally posted is

[tex]y = 3 \cdot x^2 - 8[/tex]
where you are supposed to SQUARE x before multiplying by 3.

I think I'm way off here. How did you get x = -1, y = -5?

I've tried it a few different ways and end up with different answers;

For x = -1

3(-1^2)-8
-1^2(3)-8

This is probably quite simple stuff but if I know how to do this I can get the rest

Ok so by squaring x before, I'm still not getting the right numbers...

-1^2 = -1
3.-1=-3
-3-8=-11

Where are I going wrong?

No, if you have x2 where x=-1, then the answer is 1. (-1)2=1 which is what you should be doing, while you were doing -12 which you would be doing if you had -x2 and had to solve where x=1. Basically that's the same as -(1)2

For x=-2, you would have (-2)2=4 etc.

Ah, right well that's a tad embarrassing.

I have it now so thanks to everyone for helping out, I squared 'x' inside the bracket instead of outside.

That's great so there is only a local min and not a max?

And the behaviour of this function increases as it tends towards infinity, would that be correct?

Thanks again for your help

gigidy-goo said:
I think I'm way off here. How did you get x = -1, y = -5?

I've tried it a few different ways and end up with different answers;

For x = -1

3(-1^2)-8
-1^2(3)-8

This is probably quite simple stuff but if I know how to do this I can get the rest

Try putting in = between expressions that have the same value.

For the above, if x = -1, y = 3(-1)^2 - 8 = 3(1) - 8 = -5.

gigidy-goo said:
Ok so by squaring x before, I'm still not getting the right numbers...

-1^2 = -1
3.-1=-3
-3-8=-11

Where are I going wrong?
It's really (-1)2, which is the same as (-1)(-1) = + 1. Instead of taking baby steps like the above, work with the whole expression you're trying to evaluate, as I did above.

gigidy-goo said:
Ah, right well that's a tad embarrassing.

I have it now so thanks to everyone for helping out, I squared 'x' inside the bracket instead of outside.

That's great so there is only a local min and not a max?

And the behaviour of this function increases as it tends towards infinity, would that be correct?
There is a local minimum that also happens to be the global minimum. It's at the low point of the parabola. There is no maximum -- local or global.

Try to be more specific than "as it tends towards infinity..." Anyone reading this would assume that the antecedent of "it" (i.e., the word that "it" represents) was "this function" but I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant. A better way to say this is: The function values increase as x tends to infinity. The function values also increase as x tends to negative infinity.

1. What is a function and how do I draw it?

A function is a mathematical tool that relates an input value to an output value. To draw a function, you will need to plot points on a coordinate plane based on the input and output values. Once you have several points plotted, you can connect them with a smooth curve to represent the function.

2. How do I find the zero of a function?

The zero of a function, also known as the x-intercept, is the value of x where the function crosses the x-axis. To find the zero of a function, you can set the function equal to zero and solve for x using algebraic techniques such as factoring or the quadratic formula.

3. What is a local max/min and how can I identify them on a graph?

A local maximum or minimum is a point on a graph where the function reaches its highest or lowest value within a specific interval. To identify them on a graph, look for points where the slope of the function changes from positive to negative (for a local maximum) or negative to positive (for a local minimum).

4. Are there any shortcuts or formulas for drawing a function and finding its zero and local max/min?

There are several helpful shortcuts and formulas for drawing a function and finding its zero and local max/min. Some of these include using the first and second derivative tests, finding the critical points and evaluating them, and using the intermediate value theorem.

5. How can I use the information from drawing a function, finding its zero, and local max/min in real-world applications?

Functions, zeros, and local max/min are essential in many real-world applications, such as engineering, economics, and physics. For example, in engineering, functions are used to model the behavior of systems, and finding zeros and local max/min can help optimize the system's performance. In economics, functions can represent supply and demand, and finding the zero of a function can help determine equilibrium prices. In physics, functions are used to describe motion, and finding the local max/min can indicate the fastest or slowest point of an object's motion.