Modeling WIth Sinusoidial Functions

In summary, the water depth in a harbor is 21m at high tide and 11m at low tide. The water depth changes every 12 hours. The water depth is maximum at 08:00 and minimum at 20:00.
Veronica_Oles

Homework Statement

The water depth in a harbor is 21m at high tide and 11m at low tide. Once cycle is completed every 12 hrs.
(a) Find equation for the depth as a function of time.

(b) Draw a graph for 48 hrs after low tide, which occurred at 14:00.

(c) State the times where the water depth is
(i) max
(ii) min
(iii) average value

(d) estimate the depth of the water at
(i) 17:00
(ii) 21:00

(e)
(i) 14m
(ii) 20m
(iii) at least 18 m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This question is really confusing me. I graphed it so that my y-axis is (0,11) and went from there. Found the equation to be y= -5cos((π/6)x)=16 and I also got y = 5sin(π/6(x-3))+16, I check the solutions and they were correct. But now when I went to find the max, min, avg values I kept getting them wrong.
For max solutions said 08:00 and 20:00 I got 6hrs and 18hrs for max and I don't understand how this correlates?? Same problem occurred for the min and avg. As for part (d) I put 17 into the equation and got 20.33 and then I put 21 into the equation and got 16 could someone verify if this is correct? I'm still working on (e).

Physics news on Phys.org
Veronica_Oles said:
For max solutions said 08:00 and 20:00
Did you sketch the graph of depth as a function of time? At what time did the low tide occur? What point on the graph does the low-tide event represent?
Veronica_Oles said:
I put 17 into the equation and got 20.33 and then I put 21 into the equation and got 16 could someone verify if this is correct?
You can't put 17:00 and 21:00 in the equation. Can you say why?

Veronica_Oles said:
and I also got y = 5sin(π/6(x-3))+16, I check the solutions and they were correct. But now when I went to find the max, min, avg values I kept getting them wrong.
Your solution for y is not correct. At time 14, y should be minimum, that is, the phase has to be -pi/2; 3pi/2 ; ...

ehild said:
Your solution for y is not correct. At time 14, y should be minimum, that is, the phase has to be -pi/2; 3pi/2 ; ...
I believe OP wrote a general equation w.r.t. time which satisfies the amplitude and period conditions. The time in the OP's equation is not specified in terms of 24-hr clock. It is known that a minima occurs at time 14:00, so this instant is used as a reference time t=0. With a slight modification, the equation can be written in terms of 24-hr clock. (But the solution provided says OP's equations are correct, so I'm not sure if it is required to modify the equation ).

Last edited:
cnh1995 said:
Did you sketch the graph of depth as a function of time? At what time did the low tide occur? What point on the graph does the low-tide event represent?
I graphed it.
You can't put 17:00 and 21:00 in the equation. Can you say why?
Because that is not the actual time that we go by in question. The x-axis is in number of hours.

Veronica_Oles said:
Because that is not the actual time that we go by in question. The x-axis is in number of hours.
Yes.
cnh1995 said:
I believe OP wrote a general equation w.r.t. time which satisfies the amplitude and period conditions. The time in the OP's equation is not specified in terms of 24-hr clock. It is known that a minima occurs at time 14:00, so this instant is used as a reference time t=0. With a slight modification, the equation can be written in terms of 24-hr clock. (But the solution provided says OP's equations are correct, so I'm not sure if it is required to modify the equation ).

cnh1995 said:
Yes.
Figured out the answer, did the graph correctly, my equation was also correct at y=-5cos(π/6 (X)) + 16 but I realized when u actually start counting the time the y-axis is actually 2 pm.

Veronica_Oles said:
Figured out the answer, did the graph correctly, my equation was also correct at y=-5cos(π/6 (X)) + 16 but I realized when u actually start counting the time the y-axis is actually 2 pm.
Well, you can modify the equation and get y=2 pm at the start.

Likes Veronica_Oles

1. What is a sinusoidal function?

A sinusoidal function is a mathematical function that describes a wave-like pattern. It is a type of periodic function, meaning it repeats itself at regular intervals.

2. How are sinusoidal functions used in modeling?

Sinusoidal functions are used in modeling to represent a wide range of natural phenomena, such as sound waves, light waves, and even the movement of objects. They can also be used to analyze and predict patterns in data.

3. What are the key features of a sinusoidal function?

The key features of a sinusoidal function include its amplitude, period, frequency, and phase shift. The amplitude is the height of the wave, the period is the length of one full cycle, the frequency is the number of cycles per unit of time, and the phase shift is the horizontal displacement of the wave.

4. How do you graph a sinusoidal function?

To graph a sinusoidal function, you need to plot points using the amplitude, period, and phase shift values. Then, connect the points to create a smooth curve. It is also helpful to identify the x-axis intercepts and any maximum or minimum points on the graph.

5. What are some real-world applications of sinusoidal functions?

Sinusoidal functions are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model the motion of pendulums, the voltage of alternating current, and the stock market trends. They are also used in music to create different types of sound waves.